Business A-Level at Priestley College
Business is front-page news. The way businesses operate is increasingly under scrutiny. The course provides an interesting and current insight into a range of issues and business behaviour affecting organisations today. You will develop a critical understanding of business activities on a local, national and global scale and explore how businesses adapt and respond strategically to the changing environment in which they operate. A-Level Business will help you to understand the background to the business decision making process, encouraging you to establish informed opinions and views.
The first year of the A-Level course is designed to be co-teachable with the AS course, so students in any given Year 1 class may be studying for the full AS or the first year of the A-Level qualification
Year 1 (AS)
• What is business?
• Managers, leadership and decision making
• Decision making to improve marketing; operational; financial and human resources performance. In addition students following the full A-Level course in year 2 will also study
• Analysing the strategic position of a business
• Choosing strategic direction
• Strategic methods: how to pursue strategies
• Managing strategic change
• You need GCSE English and Maths minimum grade C/4
• An ability to use and interpret data with confidence
• An interest in current affairs and engaging in regular background reading
• The ability to take part in discussion and use real business examples
• A willingness and ability to work independently to build up a portfolio of business case study material.
Year 1 (AS): There are two exam papers at the end of year 1, each 50% of the AS, both lasting 90 minutes: Paper 1: multiple choice; short answers and data response Paper 2: case study with questions
Full A-Level: There are three exam papers, each one 33% of the A-Level, all lasting two hours each. Paper 1: multiple choice questions, short answer questions and two essay questions. Paper 2: 3 data response questions Paper 3: 1 case study and six questions.
Business students can progress onto a wide range of university degree courses, apprenticeships and careers. Courses include Accounting and Financial Management; Business and Economics; Business Management; Marketing; Product Innovation and Development and Fashion Retailing. Careers and further training posts have recently included AAT trainees and a selection of apprenticeships. Other students choose this A-Level as they have a future ambition to run their own business after they have studied degree courses.
A-Level Business students participate in a range of business trips and talks such as a residential trip to Belgium, JLR, the National Coalmine Museum and The Bank of England. Students continue to develop their exam skills by participating in revision conferences and enhance their decision making skills through university business simulations. Students are given opportunities to demonstrate their innovation, leadership and teambuilding skills through Peter Jones’ Business Tycoon in Schools, Deloitte Micro-Tyco Challenge, Citrus Saturday and The Tenner Competition.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Priestley College directly.