Philosophy & Islam AS/A2 Level at Nottingham Academy
This course shows universities and employers that you
understand the world, life and people - every job needs this! It
gives meaning, purpose and understanding to life; cultivates
advanced thinking skills when solving moral and ethical
problems; and develops an understanding of how religion
affects our society. Furthermore, it provides an understanding
of the mind and spiritual aspects of human kind.
Units covered at AS
Unit 1: Foundations
– Philosophy: Arguments for whether God exists or not.
– Islam: Pre-Islamic Arabia, The Life of the Prophet
Muhammad, The Six Articles of Faith and The Five Pillars of Islam.
Unit 2: Investigations
– The Study of World religions: Choose from any topic on
world religions and create a research project on the subject.
Units covered at A2
Unit 3: Developments
– Philosophy: The Ontological Argument, Religious Experience and Life After Death.
– Islam: The Four Rightly Khalifahs, Differences between Sunni and Shi’ah Muslims, and the Compilation of the Qur’an.
Unit 4: Implications
– Texts will be studied on Islam which will be linked to
historical events, the present day and what they mean for humanity.
5+ A*-C grades at GCSE including C grade or above in English. A GCSE
in RE is not necessary.
AS: Two examinations in June.
– Unit 1: Foundations - Philosophy and Islam.
– Unit 2: Investigations - World religions.
A2: Two examinations in June.
– Unit 3: Developments - Philosophy and Islam.
– Unit 4: Implications - One question based on a passage from the texts studied.
As this course is so broad it shows you are a diverse
individual and can therefore lead to any career. For instance,
law, teaching, lecturing, overseas development, medicine,
accountancy, social services, police force, management,
business...and many more.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Nottingham Academy directly.