Accessibility links

English Standard and Higher IB at Bridgwater College

Course description

At both Standard and Higher level IB English is for students who wish to engage with a wide range of texts, including Shakespeare, and to develop their skills of literary analysis.

Course content

Standard & Higher level

Thirteen texts are covered at Higher Level and ten texts at Standard Level.

Part 1: Works in translation

For this coursework module three texts originally written in a language other than English are studied at Higher level, two works are studied at Standard level. Examples of such texts include Lorca’s “Blood Wedding” and Euripedes' "Medea"

Part 2: Detailed Study

Three works are covered for Higher Level and two for Standard Level leading to an assessed presentation. The works include a play, a novel and a poetry selection

Part 3: Literary Genres

Four works are covered at Higher and 3 at Standard level leading towards an examination. All works are linked by genre; drama, prose or poetry.

Part 4: Options

Three works are studied at Higher and Standard level leading to an assessed presentation. These works vary and complement the works studied in the other parts. All works are of a rigorous literary standard.

Entry requirements

Students will need a grade A*, A or B in English in order to take it at Higher Level, a C or above is required for Standard Level.

Assessment

A piece of coursework and oral presentations make up 55% of the final mark, the remaining 45% is assessed through examinations.

Future opportunities

This course is highly regarded as a great preparation for university study in general and particularly for English, Law and Theatre Studies. It serves as a great preparation for careers in education, Law, journalism, publishing, public relations, advertising, education and the Civil Service.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bridgwater College directly.

Last updated date: 18 February 2016

Key information

Venues