Mathematics A Level at Adeyfield School
- To further develop an understanding of mathematics and mathematical processes.
- To develop the ability to reason logically, recognise incorrect reasoning, generalise and construct mathematical proofs.
- To extend mathematical skills and techniques and use these in more difficult and unstructured problems.
- To develop connections between different areas of mathematics
- To recognise how a situation maybe represented mathematically and understand the relationship between "real-world" problems and mathematical models.
- To further develop skills needed to use technology including calculators and computers
- To develop an awareness of the relevance of mathematics to other fields of study, to the world of work and to society in general
- For students take increasing responsibility for their own learning and the evaluation of their own mathematical development.
C1 Algebra and functions; coordinate geometry in the (x, y) plane; sequences and series; differentiation; integration.
C2 Algebra and functions; coordinate geometry in the (x, y) plane; sequences and series; trigonometry; exponentials and logarithms; differentiation; integration.
C3 Algebra and functions; trigonometry; exponentials and logarithms; differentiation; numerical methods.
C4 Algebra and functions; coordinate geometry in the (x, y) plane; sequences and series; differentiation; integration; vectors.
S1 Mathematical models in probability and statistics; representation and summary of data; probability; correlation and regression; discrete random variables; discrete distributions; the Normal distribution.
D1 Algorithms; algorithms on graphs; the route inspection problem; critical path analysis; linear programming; matchings.
All papers are 1hr 30 minutes long. C1, C2 and D1 are assessed in June of year 12 and C3, C4 and S1 are assessed in June of year 13. C1 is the only non-calculator paper. There is no coursework.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Adeyfield School directly.