Public Services - Level 1 BTEC Diploma at Vision West Nottinghamshire College
A course for those interested in pursuing a career in the public services or sport industries.
You will study subjects including:
- Improving health and fitness for entry into the public services
- Investigating rights and responsibilities at work
- Practical teamwork in the public services
- Exploring career choices
- Introduction to expedition skills
- Working as part of a group
- Working towards goals
- Developing self
- Preparation for work
English and maths are a mandatory part of the course and you will be required to study these at the appropriate level. These qualifications are designed to enhance your employment opportunities and support you to progress.
As part of the programme of study, you will study a range of units to develop your understanding of the sector and progression into public services careers. You are also required to complete volunteering opportunities and work experience.
- Two GCSEs with at least 2 points (grade F) including English.
You will need to attend an interview with the tutor before being accepted on to the course. You may also need to supply at least one written reference from a teacher or employer (in some cases two) and/or your current school or college report.
Mature students (those aged 21 or over) who do not have the qualifications required for entry may still be eligible, subject to an interview. Relevant experience, a strong portfolio of work and a commitment to the subject you wish to study may be acceptable for certain courses.
- Practical observation
- Task-based work
- Written portfolio work
What can I go on to study?
- BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Uniformed Public Services
- Level 2 Diploma in Sport (Activity Leadership)
- Police officers (sergeant and below)
- Police community support officers
- Fire service officers (watch manager and below)
- Prison service officers (below principal officer)
- Officers in armed forces
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Vision West Nottinghamshire College directly.