Biology (Human) AS Level at South Wirral High School
At AS/A2 the Department offers OCR Human Biology, OCR Chemistry, OCR Physics and BTEC level 3 Applied Science.
The department is proud of its examination results but we always strive to achieve better.
We value every student and believe that Science is an important part of their education, our students are the next generation and the care of the planet is in their hands.
UNIT 1: BLOOD MOLECULES AND GAS EXCHANGE
- The Blood
- Heart, lungs & circulation
UNIT 2: GROWTH DEVELOPMENT AND DISEASE
- Developing cell
- Developing individual
- Infectious & non-infections diseases
- Where we fit in the world and how we came to be here
- How we have changed and are changing our environment
UNIT 3: CENTRE ASSESSED UNIT
- Qualitative task
- Quantitative task
- Evaluative task
- Identifying limitations of materials, apparatus and procedure and suggesting modifications to overcome them.
GCSE Grade B or above in Additional Science, or Grade B above in GCSE Biology along with the commitment to put in the required work outside the classroom.
- 1 hour written paper
- Externally set and marked
- 1 hour 45 minutes written paper
- 40% of total AS marks
- 20% of total A Level marks
- 80 marks
- Externally set, internally marked, externally moderated
- 20% of total AS mark(10% of total A level)
- 50 marks
Biologist // Biochemist // Medicine // Dentistry // Nursing // Ecologist // Geneticist // Health Scientist // Food Science // Farming & Agriculture // Teacher // Marine Biologist // Microbiologist // Pharmacist // Pharacology // Zoology
Communication // Application of Number // ICT // Working with others // Problem solving
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact South Wirral High School directly.