Art and Design A Level at St Michael's Catholic College
The A level art course at St. Michael’s provides students with the opportunity to gain experience and understanding of a selection of art and design practices. You will be able to explore a variety of ways of seeing and thinking about what is around you and develop a coherent and personal visual language with which to express your ideas.
This course is aimed at creative minded pupils and encourages an adventurous and enquiring approach to art and design. Students will develop practical skills in drawing, painting, sculpture and related activities which will enable them to express their own ideas. Students will develop an understanding of past and contemporary art and design practice.
The A level comprises 2 components:
Component 1: Personal Investigation (60%)
Part 1 – practical work:
- From personal starting points
– Supporting studies
– Practical outcome(s)
Part 2 – personal study:
- Students submit a piece of continuous prose of a minimum of 1000 words.
Component 2: Externally Set Assignment (40%)
- Externally-set, broad-based theme.
- Sustained focus period of 15-hours controlled assessment in which students create final response(s) to the theme.
- Preparatory studies
- Practical outcome(s)
- An internally assessed unit of coursework per year
- An externally set examination per year
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Michael's Catholic College directly.