Extended Project Qualification at Ashington Community High School
The EPQ provides an opportunity for students to extend their abilities beyond the A Level / BTEC syllabus and prepare for university or their future career.
It allows students to embark on largely self-directed projects. By taking responsibility for the choice and design of an individual project, they:
- Become more critical, reflective and independent learners
- Develop and apply decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Increase their planning, research, analysis, synthesis, evaluation and presentation skills
- Learn to apply new technologies confidently
- Demonstrate creativity, initiative and enterprise. The EPQ allows students to choose their own topic and manage the direction their research takes. As well as choosing their topic students need to choose the format of their finished product. This could be a:
- Research report – an academic essay built upon research and development of ideas and arguments.
- Production – for example, a performance piece, charity event or catwalk show, which may be recorded in a journal, on DVD, video, CD, or a PowerPoint presentation (accompanied by a written report).
- Artefact – this could be something like a piece of art, poster, computer programme, car engine or piece of furniture (accompanied by a written report).
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ashington Community High School directly.