Catering Skills for Working Life Entry Certificate at City College Brighton and Hove
Are you interested in food, cooking and providing a quality service within the Catering industry? Would you like to gain a qualification that will teach you the basics about the catering industry?
This entry level catering qualification is for students of all ages and will help you develop a wide range of personal, inter-personal and work-related skills. You’ll be taught in a hands on way that relates to a real working experience.
The minimum credit requirement for the qualification is 22 credits
Credits can be achieved at Entry 2 or Entry 3 allowing you to achieve a ‘spiky’ profile.
On this course you will learn about some or all of the following:
- Good understanding of Food Preparation and Cooking
- Presentation of Food
- Health and Safety
- Food Hygiene
- Some units cover the service of Food
- Some units cover cleaning and preparation of Catering Work Areas
- Develop personal and inter-personal skills to enable the learner to enhance their quality of life and behaviour within accepted norms;
- Develop an awareness of the need to operate safely in a particular environment;
- Provide opportunities for experiential learning;
- Provide basic understanding of industrial practice through performing routine tasks;
- Provide motivation and recognition of progress and achievement through the accumulation of credit via controlled and structured assessment;
- Develop mental and physical co-ordination, dexterity, mobility and confidence.
There are no entry requirements, but basic literacy and numeracy are an advantage as is an interest in working in the catering industry
Interview for entry: Interview required
You will be asked to come for an interview and taster day where you can show your interest, enthusiasm and commitment to catering through your studies at school, your hobbies, any work experience or your ambitions. You will need to show that you are committed to the course and prepared to work in and out of class.
You'll be assesed through observation, questioning and project work
Students are required to supply their own study materials, protective clothing and knives, which will be around £120. Other small equipment and commodities are provided. The College will provide you with an equipment and supplier list.
After successfully completing this course, you may wish to progress on to
- B0660) Supported VRQ 1 (Vocational Related Qualification) Diploma in Introduction to Professional Cookery. This is also a small group Catering course with Teaching Support Assistant
- (B0661) Mainstream VRQ1 as above but not small group and is not supported by a designated TSA in all lessons
Or alternatively you may look to begin work in the catering industry.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact City College Brighton and Hove directly.