Business OCR Cambridge Level 3 Technical Diploma at Bebington High Sports College
The course is respected by universities and employers. It is not just the results that make this such a interesting area but also the enrichment opportunities that the course offers including work experience and vocationally linked learning.
You will complete six units over two years:
AS (one year) course consists of three units of work:
- Unit 1: The business environment (Compulsory) The aim of this unit is to enable students to have an understanding of the different business organisations that can exist and of the ways in which they can be influenced by the wider environment.
- Unit 2: Business resources (Compulsory) This unit looks at how a range of resources, including human, physical, technological and financial resources, are used within business. The aim of this unit is to enable students to know how these resources are used and managed within a business.
- Unit 12: Recruitment and selection in business (Optional) By completing this unit, students will know and understand the process that a business has to go through when recruiting staff. Students will prepare documents necessary to help select the right person for the job and plan to take part in a selection interview.
A2 (one year) course consists of a further three units of work:
- Unit 6: Business communication (Optional) By the end of this unit, students will have developed an understanding of one of the key areas that can contribute to business success. Students will have had the opportunity to develop, analyse and evaluate a range of methods used to communicate different types of business information and the purpose of such communication.
- Unit 11: Internet marketing in business By completing this unit, students will understand the role of internet marketing in today’s workplace. They will explore the role that internet marketing has in the context of wider marketing and how businesses use the internet to maximise promotions and sales opportunities. The effect of internet marketing on society is also considered along with the challenges that businesses face in achieving a global online presence.
- Unit 13: Development planning for a career in business On completion of this unit, students will have created their own career plan, and will have gained an understanding of their skills and how to apply them as they progress in their career.
Students need to have 5 GCSEs at grade C and above. A Level 2 qualification in Business is not necessary, although it does give the student a background knowledge which often gives them a good start but all students have usually caught up on this knowledge by the Christmas. English is particularly important as the course is 100% coursework and this helps the students to produce longer pieces of writing.
This course is 100% coursework. It will be graded as a Pass, Merit or Distinction standard.
As with any good Level 3 result you can go onto university to study a wide range of courses, there are general business courses, specific business courses such as Marketing and Human Resources, Accountancy and Business Management courses. It is also a good generic course which can add points to any degree application plus it is also good for quite specialised courses such as Fashion Buying, an increasingly popular course and courses such as Golf Course Management. It is also a useful subject for those students who want to apply for management programmes with our big retailers or want to join the world of work.
Students in the past have gone onto a variety of courses and have found the grounding they had in this subject very useful.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bebington High Sports College directly.