Children's Play, Learning & Development BTEC (National Extended Diploma) Level 3 at Alton College
This is a two year course that is equivalent to three A level and carries a maximum of 420 UCAS points.
You will study a number of units which includes topics such as:
* Child Development which looks at all areas of development for children aged 0 to 8 years
* Play in Early Years Settings which looks at the different aspects of play for children aged 0 to 8 years and how you can facilitate the development of the children through play.
* Meeting Children’s Physical Development, Physical Care and Health Needs which looks at diet, exercise, routines, activities and illness.
* Child Protection which looks at the types and indicators of child abuse and how we respond to concerns
* Collaboration with Parents, Colleagues and Other Professionals in Early Years which involves parents rights, building relationships with parents, working in a team.
You will have a mixture of formal and less formal learning experiences. Some sessions will be in the form of lectures but you will also participate in a mixture of activities – whether working individually or in groups. You will participate in role plays, discussions and presentations. Some time will be available for supported independent study to help you with course work and your own research.
As with other A level courses homework is a vital part of your studies. On average you will be expected to do between 8 and 10 hours per week but you may need to allocate more time when assignments are due.
Unit 1 is assessed by means of an exam which is based around case studies and how children learn. Units 2 and 4 are assessed through a task set and marked by the exam board. The other units are assessed internally by your staff and then moderated by the exam board. Your work will be graded pass, merit, distinction or distinction*. You will also need to complete a Personal Evidence Record folder for your practical work.
You will need to purchase course materials which includes three text books, at least one polo shirt (purchased through college) for placement and in addition you may need to pay for a DBS check.
Work experience is part of the course. You have to complete at least 750 hours in three different settings. College will help with funding and organising placement.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Alton College directly.