Music Eduqas A Level at Kingdown School
This course offers a broad and academic study of music as a subject and is both exciting and challenging.
The course is practical but also contains a high level of theory and students will develop all their musical skills including the use of Music Technology.
Students will complete 3 units over the two years.
GCSE English Grade 9-5 plus 4 GCSEs at grades A*-C with a B grade or higher in Music.
Students will need play an instrument or sing to Grade 5 standard or above at the start of the course.
They need to be having lessons on their instrument/voice and be fully committed to developing their instrumental/vocal skills.
Students need to have studied GCSE Music but students will be considered on an individual basis through discussion with Miss North.
Students need to have a mature approach to the subject.
- Students will perform as a soloist and in an ensemble for a total of 10-12 minutes.
- 35% of A Level
- Visiting examiner
- Students are required to prepare a portfolio of two compositions, one of which must reflect the musical language, techniques and conventions associated with the Western Classical Tradition in response to a brief.
- The second composition is a free composition.
- Total duration of compositions: 4-6 minutes
- 25% of A Level
- Internal assessment
- Written examination
- 2 hours 15 minutes.
- 40% of A Level
- External assessment
- This examination will assess knowledge and understanding of music through three areas of study:
- Area of study A - The Western Classical Tradition (The Development of the Symphony 1750-1900 - is compulsory. Students then choose two further contrasting areas of study:
- Area of study B: Rock and Pop, C: Musical Theatre or D: Jazz.
- Area of study E: The Twentieth Century or F: Into the Twenty-first Century.
This specification provides a suitable foundation for the study of music or a related area through a range of higher education courses, progression to the next level of vocational qualifications or employment.
In addition, the specification provides a coherent, satisfying and worthwhile course of study for learners who do not progress to further study in this subject.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Kingdown School directly.