Sport with Football Development Level 3 at Wiltshire College
This course has been designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills required to enable you to move into the sports industry into areas such as health and fitness,
sports and leisure, sports coaching and professional sport, or onto a related higher education course. Those interested in any aspect of sport performance would benefit from this course.
Wiltshire College Chippenham have teamed up with Chippenham Town FC to offer a unique opportunity for those that wish to specialise in football. The 'Football Development Scheme' is a well-established and exciting programme that offers male and female players the opportunity to combine full-time academic study with football coaching in order to promote, development and progress for students both academically and in football.
Over this two year course, you are required to study the following mandatory units which are fundamental to your programme of study:
- Principles of Anatomy and Physiology in Sport - the aim of this unit is to explore the structure and function of the skeletal, muscular, cardiovascular and respiratory systems and also to learn the fundamentals of the energy systems
- The Physiology of Fitness - this unit provides an opportunity for learners to explore the body’s response to acute exercise and how the body adapts to long-term exercise participation
- Assessing Risk in Sport - the aim of this unit is to make the learner explicitly aware of the vital nature of risk assessment and its management within the sports industry
- Fitness Training and Programming - learners will understand the importance of planning fitness training sessions and how to design fitness training programmes
- Sports Coaching - this unit will develop learners’ ability to coach specific sports. It will develop their knowledge of the skills and techniques used by coaches to enhance sports performance, and will also provide them with an opportunity to apply these skills and techniques whilst coaching and leading sports sessions
- Sports Development - this unit introduces learners to sports development and the diverse work of sports development officers. Learners will explore the key concepts in sports development including the sports development continuum, target groups and barriers to participation. You will also explore the cross-cutting agendas in which sports development plays a significant role
- Fitness Testing for Sport and Exercise - the aim of this unit is to enable learners to gain an understanding of fitness testing and the importance of health screening and health monitoring tests. This unit is particularly relevant for those who aspire to work in sports coaching, fitness instruction and elite sport
- Practical Team Sports - you will explore the skills, techniques, tactics and rules of team sports through practical participation. Learners will have the opportunity to practise and refine their individual skills and techniques. They will be able to investigate and experience different team tactics and formations, and review their own performance in these areas and the performance of other individuals
The remaining optional units are classed as specialist units which relate to sports development, coaching and fitness. This allows you to develop knowledge and skills in a variety of interesting areas including physiology, anatomy and sports performance. It also offers the opportunity to engage practical skills and sport knowledge in a variety of exercise settings.
4 GCSEs grades A* to C (or equivalent) including English and Maths or a Merit or Distinction in a related subject at Level 2.
Student assessments are carried out in a variety of ways including assignment writing, portfolio building, presentations and practical application. There are no formal exams on the main programme.
You can progress onto further study at university level such as our HND in Sport Coaching and Development. Alternatively you could progress into a creer in sports coaching, persoanl training, officiating, sports development or as an athlete yourself.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wiltshire College directly.