Applied Science (90 Credit) Diploma at Solihull College & University Centre
The 90-Credit Diploma in Applied Science is the perfect course for students who want to continue their study in Applied Science and already have at least Grade C in both English and Mathematics GCSE.
It will allow successful learners to progress onto a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science after the first year which provides access to a wide range of University level courses or entry into the Science industry.
The 90-Credit Diploma, and subsequent Extended Diploma, combines the key areas of Biology, Physics and Chemistry to give you a well-rounded practical and theoretical understanding of the Applied Sciences.
You will have significant time developing your practical laboratory skills while on this programme which will allow you to progress with confidence into technical-based employment or Higher Education science programmes.
On this course you will study the following:
- Biology, Physics and Chemistry
- Skills of carrying out a scientific practical project
- Key principles of working in a scientific field
- Development of scientific skills relevant in the workplace
- Health and safety in the laboratory
- Applications of physical sciences (chemistry and physics)
- Human biology
- Mathematical skills for scientists
- Extended practical laboratory techniques in all disciplines
Entry requirements are normally:
- GCSE grade C or above in Mathematics and English
- Either GCSE grade Cs or above in science (double award, core and additional, or separate sciences)
- Or a Merit grade or above in the BTEC Level 2 Diploma/Extended Certificate in Applied Science
- Other equivalent qualifications will be considered on a case-by-case basis and in special cases a diagnostic assessment may be completed
To pass this course you will successfully complete a number of assignments. This coursework will be assessed against Pass, Merit or Distinction criteria. Certain sections of the course may be assessed by written examinations or short tests.
If you are successful (with at least a Merit grade) on this course, you will be able to progress onto the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science which will then allow you access University-level courses in scientific disciplines.
You will also be qualified to seek employment in a science based organisation.
Students will undertake a wide range of practical investigations, through which good laboratory practice will be developed.
All laboratory safety equipment will be provided by the College.
You may wish to purchase a recommended textbook to accompany the course.
All students will be required to make set contributions towards educational trips and/or travel expenses to local events.
If you have a Learning Difficulty or Disability please let us know when you apply. You will be offered support in your interview. If you need help completing your application we can help with this too.
Solihull College offers full time and part time courses for businesses and residents in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton, Coventry Warwickshire and the whole of the West Midlands.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Solihull College & University Centre directly.