Uniformed Public Services Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma at Bridgwater College
This advanced level programme has been specifically designed as interactive preparation for those interested in pursuing a career within a Public or Emergency Service e.g. Police, Fire, Ambulance Service, the Armed Forces, Prison Service and HM Revenue & Customs.
The Public Services programme incorporates the BTEC Extended Diploma. The programme is divided into units of study delivered over a period of two academic years:
- Government, Policies and the Public Services
- Leadership and Teamwork in the Public Services
- Citizenship, Diversity and the Public Services
- Understanding Discipline in the Uniformed Public Services
- Fitness Testing and Training for the Uniformed Public Services.
- Physical Preparation, Health and Lifestyle for the Public Services
- Understand the Impact of War, Conflict and Terrorism on Public Services
- Outdoor and Adventurous Expeditions
- Skills for Land-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Skills for Water-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Crime and its Effects on Society
- Command and Control in the Uniformed Public Services
- Responding to Emergency Service Incidents
- Planning and Management of Major Incidents
- Career Planning for the Public Services
- Police Powers in the Public Services
- Behaviour in Public Sector Employment
- Current and Media Affairs in Public Services
- Personnel and Human Resources
- Security Procedures in the Public Services
- Practical Team Sports
- Exercise, Health and Lifestyle
- Instructing Physical Activity and Exercise
- Volunteering in Public Services.
A minimum of five GCSEs grades A* - C, including English. High levels of motivation and a good standard of physical fitness. If progressing from a BTEC First Diploma an overall merit grade is a minimum requirement.
Assessment methods employed within the academic units include: individual research, group work, projects work, oral presentations, visual displays, written papers etc. Each unit carries at least two assignments. Successful assessments will be graded at pass, merit or distinction.
A Foundation Degree in Public Service with Outdoor Education is offered at Bridgwater College in conjunction with the University of Plymouth. BTEC National Diploma Public Service students apply to universities and are offered places. The range of topic opportunities is very broad, including areas such as Marine Biology, Criminal Psychology, Law and Sports Science.
The structured preparation for entry into a Public/Emergency service is one of the main themes of the programme. The Public Services BTEC National Diploma is recognised as an entry-level qualification by a wide range of potential employers. The wide range of subject areas within the programme provides a qualification that may be applied in a multitude of employment areas both in and outside of the public services sector. However, many organisations insist on applicants also having a GCSE in English and Maths at grade C or above.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bridgwater College directly.