Applied Science at Mark Rutherford School
If you enjoy Science and would like to continue your studies without specialising in one particular area of Science then this is a very good course for you. Being a vocational course, it also involves developing more practical employable skills such as communication, organisation, independent working and time management.
The Level 3 B TEC Extended Certificate in Applied Science is a two year course and is equivalent to one A level in Applied Science. If you stop after one year then you qualify for a Level 3 BTEC Certificate in Applied Science which is equivalent to one AS level. These qualifications are also referred to as BTEC Nationals and carry the same UCAS points for university as AS and A2 qualifications.
- to develop a range of skills and techniques, personal skills and attributes essential for success ful performance in working life
- to increase understanding of the role of the science technician or assistant practitioner, their relationship with the scientific community and their responsibilities towards the community and the environment
- to acquire technic al and employability skills, knowledge and understanding which are transferable and will enable individuals to meet changing circumstances
Minimum entry requirements apply. We also prefer candidates to have a grade B or above in both Core and Additional Science GCSE . However, a High C and a recommendation from your year 11 s cience teacher is also accepted .
- 25% of the whole course is externally assessed by an exam (unit 1)
- 37.5% of the whole course assessed internally by your teachers through the written portfolio of work you produce (unit s 2 and 8)
- 37.5% of the whole course is externally assessed based on practical tasks set by set by the exam board and carried out and analysed in lessons (unit 3 )
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Mark Rutherford School directly.