Carpentry and Joinery Level 1 Diploma at North Hertfordshire College
Our construction courses include lots of opportunities for you to get hands-on experience of the world of work, including:
- Work experience with businesses like Willmott Dixon, CEC Electrical and Heat Safe Ltd
- Opportunities to enter WorldSkills competitions to showcase your skills against the best students from around the world
- Engagement with guest speakers from businesses like Willmott Dixon
- Access to free training, tools and an opportunity to work in construction through dry lining specialist, Grays, thanks to NHC’s partnership with the Construction Skills Academy.
Carpentry: you’ll learn the skills needed as a carpenter to cut, join, shape and construct timber structures such as floors, studwork and roofs and to install items such as skirting boards, doors, kitchen units and staircases. You’ll learn how to use and maintain a wide variety of both hand tools and power tools. You’ll develop and use a keen eye for detail and accurate measurement in the reading and producing of plans and drawings.
Through this course you’ll learn about:
- Health, safety and welfare in construction and associated industries
- Technical information and quantities
- Construction technology
- Maintaining and using carpentry and joinery hand tools
- Producing woodworking joints.
To join this course, you will need three GCSE’s at grade E or above including maths and English or entry level functional skills and a satisfactory interview.
You’ll also sit exams if you’re doing maths or English GCSE or functional skills.
Price on application.
There are no tuition fees for students aged 16-18 years.
If you are over 18, please speak to a client advisor.
Possible charges for any trips, visits, materials and uniform if required offered during the year will be independent of the tuition fees or any other student finance. Financial help may be available for these costs, please contact Student Services for more information.
Having successfully completed this course, you’ll be able to progress to:
- Level 2 courses including level 2 diploma in site carpentry
- Paid employment in the sector.
Please visit our website for further information - www.nhc.ac.uk
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact North Hertfordshire College directly.