Biology AS Level and A Level at Mayflower High School
The course will cover many topics introduced at GCSE, but to greater depth.
What will I study at AS Level?
• Biological molecules including carbohydrates, proteins, lipids, DNA, ATP, water and inorganic ions
• Cell ultrastructure, transport across membranes, cell recognition and Immunity
• How organisms exchange substances with their environment
• Genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms to include DNA and protein synthesis, genetic diversity and biodiversity.
What will I study at A Level?
All of the above and in addition:
• Energy transfers in and between organisms to include biochemistry of photosynthesis and respiration, productivity and nutrient cycles
• Organisms respond to changes in their environments using nervous coordination and muscle contraction and control of both blood glucose and blood water potential
• Genetics, populations, evolution and ecosystems
• The control of gene expression including gene technologies.
CAPS 40 plus Grade BB in GCSE Science (if Triple undertaken, BB including B in Biology).
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Mayflower High School directly.