Professional Chef Programme Level 1 & 2 VRQ at The Wellington Academy
The qualification offers students an opportunity to gain an understanding of cookery processes and commodities in a practical and theoretical learning environment. This will reflect on current and future food trends within Hospitality, and the subsequent development of the individual.
This qualification aims to provide a basic understanding of food preparation, food production, commodities and cooking processes. This will enable the student to understand the basic theoretical knowledge required to underpin the practical training sessions. This will also enable the student to organise and manage their work in an efficient manner with an understanding of Health Safety and Hygiene.
Learners will visit various hotels and links will be established with possible future employers. Learners will attend national trade shows and competition work will be encouraged throughout the course. Work experience will be integrated into the course and the student will work once a month with a local employer.
- To understand the basic principles needed for the preparation, production and presentation of food.
- To understand the importance of hygiene, health and safety.
- Develop an awareness of cost effective use of commodities, menu balance and nutritional aspects.
- To be conversant with technology in food production and storage.
- To identify common commodities for quality, use and source of supply.
- Further underpin practical sessions by relating the relevant theory
You will be required to:
- Complete VRQ records Logbook)
- Pass written tests and assignments for each unit
- Pass one on-line exam for food safety
- Take part in skills tasks to attain a recognised grade of pass, credit or distinction.
After full attendance of the module you will be able to:
- Demonstrate competence in a range of basic culinary skills appropriate to the industry today
- Organise and co-ordinate work.
- Assess and make judgements on quality of produce.
- Apply hygiene, health and safety procedures in food production.
- Demonstrate knowledge of processes, procedures and commodities.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Wellington Academy directly.