Activity Leadership YMCA Level 2 Certificate at Carshalton College
The YMCA NVQ Level 2 Certificate in Activity Leadership is a course designed to have a balance of college and work experience in local Leisure Facilities. This blend will give the learner the theory and employability skills necessary to go out into the world of work.
This course is suitable for those who want to work in the active leisure industry as activity leaders, outdoor activity instructors and community leaders and those who wish to have their experience and knowledge recognised by a formal qualification.
Some of the units you will be studying are:
- Support the work of the team and organisation
- Promote health, safety and welfare in active leisure and recreation
- Prepare for activity sessions
- Lead activity sessions
- Conclude and review activity session
- Support equality and diversity in active leisure and recreation
Alongside you main qualification you will also be studying the additional qualifications below:
- YMCA Level 1 Award in Fitness & Physical Activity
If you do not have a GCSE at maths or English you will be required to attend mandatory classes of either Functional Skills or GCSEs.
You will also be gaining mandatory work experience in Leisure Facilities in the local area when you are not in college.
A minimum of three GCSEs at grade D (to include English and Science or PE) or you will have successfully completed a relevent Level 1 programme including English Functional Skills Level 1 or Level 2.
A positive reference from school, an employer or a tutor (if progressing or from another college) with punctuality and attendance for the course is also required.
You may also be asked to demonstrate your commitment and skills in an interview.
You will be assessed in a variety of ways, these could include:
- practical examination
- professional discussion
Tuition, exam and registration fees not applicable to students aged 16 -18.
You may be required to purchase a travel card for additional visits that may be arranged during the year.
To enrol on this course you will be required to buy a uniform which will cost £40 and must be worn to all practical sessions.
After the course you could go out to employment in a recreational facility or study further courses at Carshalton College, such as:
- Extended Diploma in Sport & Exercise Science (Level 3).
- 90 credit Diploma in Sport & Exercise Science (Level 3).
- Subsidiary Diploma in Sport & Exercise Science (Level 3).
- CYQ Level 3 Diploma in Personal Training .
- The Advanced Apprenticeship in Supporting the Delivery of Physical Education and School Sport
100% attendance is expected. Due to the popular nature of these courses, we are unable to offer firm progression to all of our students. The limited places are offered on the basis of attendance, punctuality, attitude and achievement. These qualities must be demonstrated throughout the programme.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Carshalton College directly.