Automotive or Motorsport Engineering Technology IMI Level 2 Extended Diploma at Northbrook College Sussex
The Level 2 Extended Diploma in Motorsport offers candidates the opportunity to study a range of vehicle systems in conjunction with the application of Scientific and Mathematical principles. In addition to investigating current technologies, candidates will become familiar with the industry structure and various vehicle setups. The qualification is designed to enable progression onto the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Motorsport or alternatively provide a firm knowledge and skills base for employment / apprenticeship routes.
- Opportunity to gain work experience with the College Racing Team
- Gain an insight into the Motorsport industry
- Success Rate 14% above National Benchmark
Level 2 includes routine maintenance as well as the removing and replacing of engine, electrical, chassis and transmission components.
Units included in each year are:
- Knowledge and Skills in Health & Safety and Good Housekeeping in the Motorsport Environment
- Knowledge of Motorsport Event Regulations
- Knowledge and Skills in Inspecting a Motorsport Vehicle during Competition
- Knowledge and Skills in Materials, Fabrication, Tools and Measuring Devices used in the Motorsport Environment
- Knowledge and Skills in Motorsport Engine Mechanical, Lubrication and Cooling System Units and Components
- Knowledge and Skills in Motorsport Fuel, Ignition, Air & Exhaust System Units and Components
- Knowledge and Skills in Removing and Replacing Motorsport Chassis Units and Components
- Knowledge and Skills in Removing and Replacing Motorsport Electrical Units and Components
- Knowledge and Skills of Removing and Replacing Motorsport Transmissions, Driveline Units and Components
- Vehicle electrical and electronics
- ICT for vehicle repair
- Vehicle mathematics
- Vehicle science
To start on this course you need:
At least four GCSEs at grades A*-C, including Maths, Science and English.
a relevant Level 2 qualification with at least a 70% Merit profile, including English and Maths requirements.
An appropriate reference and successful interview will also be required.
The course is assessed via a combination of examination and continuous assessment.
Practical assessment workshop tasks measure competence, which is the ability to complete a vehicle related job to an exacting standard.
Online examinations that assess underpinning knowledge.
Written Assessment to ensure one subject is understood before moving to the next topic.
After 1 year at Level 2 you can achieve an IMI Level 2 Diploma in Motorsport Vehicle Maintenance & Repair. Some students will seek employment but most will apply for the Extended Diploma course.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Northbrook College Sussex directly.