Hairdressing NVQ Level 2 Diploma at The Arnewood School
The course enables the student to obtain an NVQ Diploma qualification in Hairdressing through a combination of class-room based study and practical experience through work placement time in the salon.
The NVQ is a widely recognised vocational qualification, valued by employers within this area of work.
The syllabus followed and outlined below is the NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Hairdressing. It is based on both written theoretical knowledge and documented evidence of being able to put theory into practice.
The Diploma covers the following areas of theory and practical:
- UHB26 Develop and maintain your effectiveness at work
- UHB24 Advise and consult with clients
- UHB25 Shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp
- UHB22 Cut hair using basic techniques
- UHB20 Style and finish hair
- UHB21 Set and dress hair
- UHB23 Colour and lighten hair
- UHB46 Perm and neutralise hair – optional
- UHB60 Cut men’s hairstyles – optional
- UHB47 Plait and twist hair – optional
Students will also spend a minimum of 17 hours per week in practical placement within a hairdressing salon and will be collating written work on theory for their NVQ portfolio at the same time.
- A minimum of 5 GCSE passes at grade C or above is preferred (which must include English)
- an interview
- UHB26, UHB22, UHB20, UBH21, UHB60:By internally marked and verified assignment/questions.
- UHB24, UHB25, UHB46: By externally set exam, internally marked and verified assignment/questions
- UHB23 By 2 x externally set exams, internally marked and verified assignment/questions.
- UHB47: Plait and twist hair
NVQ: By presentation of a portfolio of evidence based on
- A written review of the theory cited to support practice
- A series of formal written assessments of practical competence against the performance criteria set in the NVQ standards
The qualification will enable you to build knowledge, understanding and skills which are appropriate to many job roles within hairdressing. Students may go on to study at Level 3 which is an advanced study of hairdressing and includes colour correction and advanced cutting techniques although we recommend a year is spend in a salon between courses to build upon basic knowledge and skills learnt in level 2.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Arnewood School directly.