Professional Cookery with Pastry Diploma Level 2 at St Helens College
This course offers everything you need for a fantastic career in catering.
Starting off with soups, stocks and sauces, you'll move onto fruit, vegetables, meat and fish. You'll master the art of hot and cold puddings as well as biscuits, cakes and sponge.
There are so many skills you need to be a successful chef, and you'll learn them all. As well as all of this, you'll become proficient at menu planning, an essential skill for any future head chef.
During this course, you will cover the following units:
- Investigating the catering and hospitality industry
- Health and safety in catering and hospitality
- Healthier food and special diets
- Food safety in catering
- Catering operations, costs and menu planning
- Applying workplace skills
- Preparing and cook stocks, soups and sauces
- Preparing and cook fruit and vegetables
- Preparing and cook meat and offal
- Preparing and cook poultry
- Preparing and cook fish and shellfish
- Preparing and cook rice, pasta, grains and egg dishes
- Producing hot and cold desserts and puddings
- Producing paste products
- Producing biscuit, cake and sponge products
- Producing fermented dough products
You will need either four GCSEs at grade C or above, including English or maths or a level 1 qualification.
English and maths forms an important part of your future, ensuring you achieve the best success in your chosen career. But don't worry, if you haven't got the desired grades, we will still have a course available for you.
You will be assessed by assignments, observations of preparing, cooking and serving food and short tests.
f you are a school leaver, aged 16-18, (under the age of 19 on or before 31st August 2016), you do not pay tuition fees or examination and registration fees and may be eligible for additional support depending on your financial situation.
Upon completion of this course, you may decide to travel around the world and open your own restaurant, or join the culinary scene in Liverpool or Manchester.
You'll also have the oppportunity to continue your studies at level 3, enabling you to take your skills even further.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Helens College directly.