Women's Hairdressing Level 3 Diploma at Truro and Penwith College
This qualification builds on your existing knowledge and understanding of hairdressing and will develop an enhanced repertoire of technical skills to prepare you for employment as a senior stylist/hairdresser. You will have your hairdressing skills assessed in a real or realistic working environment.
The one year qualification includes all the required elements for you to work effectively as an advanced stylist including: health and safety; client consultation; advanced cutting; styling hair; colouring techniques and selling products and additional services to clients. These units are all mandatory.
You will also have the opportunity to develop your understanding and skills further by undertaking a number of optional units which include hair colour correction and bridal hair styling. The structure of this qualification provides you with the opportunity to develop the knowledge, understanding and skills required for your designated career pathway as a senior hairdresser/stylist.
Since the start of Hairdressing at Penwith College, over 90% of students have successfully gained employment within the industry, with many now running their own businesses.
Four Level 3 students have represented the College in the National World Skills Challenge competition and many have competed in regional competitions gaining numerous medals, including Gold.
- VRQ/NVQ 2 in Hairdressing.
- You will normally also have four GCSEs at grade D and above. If you do not have grade Cs in maths and English you will need to retake these at College*. (*under 19s only).
Your achievement in this qualification is dependent upon excellent attendance, punctuality and effort. You will study in a friendly atmosphere, using a variety of assessment methods:
- Most of the assessment is completed through practical observations of skills and techniques which will be carried out throughout all of your units, as you continuously strive to work towards a competent level within your treatments.
- You will be assessed regularly on written theory work that may be conducted within the class or as a homework activity and feedback will be continuously provided on your progress. You also will be assessed regularly on treatment terminology.
- Your performance will be reviewed during 1:1 sessions with your personal tutor.
- Examinations will also be undertaken on each unit throughout your course.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will gain a VRQ Level 3; a professional qualification awarded by VTCT who are the market leaders in hairdressing qualifications. This qualification will enable you to prepare for employment as a professional hair stylist or gain entry onto university level qualifications. Learners who complete this qualification are eligible to become a State Registered Hairdresser (SRH) with The Hairdressing Council and gain insurance as a hair stylist. Once fully qualified as a hair stylist, there are many career opportunities you can enjoy, such as:
- Commercial salons
- Independent/self-employed/mobile/home-based settings
- Product manufacturing and training
- Television, film, theatre and media
- Armed services
- HM prison service
- Cruise liners
- Hospitals/care homes
- Company trainer
- Workplace trainer/assessor
- College lecturer
Whilst this qualification's primary purpose is to prepare you for employment as a senior hairdresser/stylist, you may choose to further develop your knowledge and skills by undertaking advanced specialist qualifications at Level 4, including:
- VTCT Level 4 Certificate in Salon Management
- VTCT Level 4 Diploma in Salon Management
- VTCT Level 4 Certificate in Specialist Hair and Scalp Services
- VTCT Level 4 Certificate in Hair Colour Correction
- VTCT Level 4 Award in Advanced Hair Styling
Our Barbering course has also proven to be a very popular progression option.
We encourage you to practise your hairdressing services away from College where possible and to utilise the online resources provided by the College for guidance. In addition we expect you to conduct your own research during set home study activities in relation to completion of workbooks and assignments. However, we will also offer you opportunities to conduct this research at College.
You will need salon uniform and specific equipment; full advice will be given on these before the start of your course.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Truro and Penwith College directly.