Psychology A Level at The Belvedere Academy 6th Form
Psychology is a very popular subject at Belvedere, which is attractive to students because it develops a range of valuable skills, including critical analysis, independent thinking and research. These skills are particularly relevant to young people and are transferable to further study and the workplace.
Intoductory topics in Psychology which includes the following topics:
- Social Influence - types of conformity, explanations of obedience, minority influence.
- Memory - models of memory, explanations for forgetting, eyewitness testimony and improving the accuracy of eyewitness testimony.
- Attachment - caregiver-infant interactions, explanations of attachment, the influence of early attachment on childhood and adult relationships.
- Psychopathology - definitions of abnormality, explaining and treating phobias, explaining and treating depression, explaining and treating obsessive compulsive disorder
- Psychology in context which includes the following topics:
- Approaches - Learning approach, Cognitive approach, Biological approach, Psychdynamic approach and Humanistic approach.
- Biopsychology - the divisions of the nervous system, endocrine system, fight or flight, ways of studying the brain, biological rhythms.
- Research methods - the scientific process of conducting research, including data handling and analysis
- Issues and debates - free will and determinism, nature versus nurture debate, gender and culture in psychology, ethical implications in research studies and theory.
- Gender - sex and gender, the role of chromosomes and hormones, cognitive explanations of gender, psychodynamic explanations of gender development.
- Stress - the physiology of stress, stress and illness, sources of stress, measuring stress, managing and coping with stress
- Agression - neural and hormonal mechanisms in aggression, institutional aggression in the context of prisons, media and aggression.
5 GCSE A*-C with a B in either Mathematics or Science.
There will be a mock examination at the end of the first year. There will be three examinations at the end of the second year.
- Paper 1 is 33.3% of the A Level grade. 2 hrs.
- Paper 2 is 33.3% of the A Level grade. 2 hrs.
- Paper 3 is 33.3% of the A Level grade. 2 hrs.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Belvedere Academy 6th Form directly.