Hairdressing / Barbering NVQ Certificate Level 1 at Bolton College
Our full-time study programmes are designed to maximise your career prospects and widen your options for further or higher study.
The Level 1 qualification is ideal if you are looking to gain an insight into the hairdressing and barbering industry, as you will learn, develop and practise the skills required for employment and career progression in this sector.
With the opportunity to showcase your excellent people skills, creative flair and professionalism in our Wella salon, you will gain the experience that you need in order to move on to a career in anything from fashion, to film and TV, to owning your own business.
Work experience is also an integral part of our study programmes, enabling you to gain essential exposure to the world of work.
What you'll learn
You will learn a range topics, including the following:
- Prepare for hair services and maintain work areas
- Contribute to the development of effective working relationships
- Blow dry hair
- Shampoo and condition hair
- Assist with salon reception - both hairdressing and barbering
- Assist with hair colouring and lightening services - hairdressing route
- Assist with shaving services - barbering route
Extra units include:
- Plait and twist the hair using basic techniques
- Assist with perming hair service
If required for your chosen HE course, you may wish to study English & maths to Level 3.
Elements of study
Your programme consists of the following elements:
- Study of your chosen vocational subject
- English and maths (continued until the achievement of GCSE grade 4 (C) or equivalent)
- Employability skills (e.g. punctuality, attendance, communication and team work)
- Work experience (giving you a taste of working life)
- Tutorial & personal development (e.g. healthy living, volunteering and citizenship skills)
You will need to complete a literacy and numeracy assessment. You should be highly motivated, have good dexterity skills and be able to work well as part of a team. You will have a good attendance, punctuality and behavioural report from your previous school / college.
You will also require four grade 3’s (D’s), one must be GCSE grade 3 in English, or you must have completed your VRQ level 1 in an introduction to the hair and beauty sector.
You will be assessed through a range of practical assessment techniques, online tests, assignments and oral questioning. As this is a rigorous course of study you will be required to complete / practice a large amount of work away from the College.
Government-funded Further Education courses are usually free if you are aged 16-18 and are a British or European Union resident. Financial help is available for some students, whose families are on low income. If you’re worried about the cost of going to College, why not pop in for a friendly chat with our Student Services team?
For any financial queries or information about available bursaries, feel free to contact Student Services at Deane Road by calling 01204 482 181/195 and asking for a member of the Student Finance Team; or alternatively, come by and see us – we’re here to help!
After you have completed the course you could remain in College and progress on to a full-time Level 2 course in either Hairdressing or Barbering.
Alternatively, if you choose to look for paid work you could opt for a Hairdressing or Barbering Apprenticeship and earn while you learn.
Following further study you could work as:
- A fully-trained Hairdresser where you could earn between £14,000 and £20,000 a year, depending on experience.
- A Salon Manager, earning between £18,000 and £30,000 a year.
We want to give you a positive experience at College and a rounded view of the industry you could one day be working in. So, during your time at College, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a range of activities, including:
- Meeting guest speakers from the industry
- Visiting local salons
- Participating in Showcases and events
Our £75 million campus offers:
- A fitness suite and sports hall
- Apple Mac suites
- A theatre and dance studios
- A café selling Costa coffee
- Wella-approved hair salons
We also have a wide range of events throughout the year including showcases, enterprise activities and cultural celebrations.
Number 1 for Achievement Rates
We’re the number one General Further Education College in Greater Manchester for 16-18 achievement rates for higher level qualifications.
Ofsted Grade 2 ‘Good’
In our last inspection we were graded 2 for ‘Good’. Ofsted highlighted the fact that our learners develop good employability and personal skills and that a high proportion progress to Apprenticeships, employment or Higher Education.
The College will support you throughout your time here; you will receive personal support from both your tutor and your Learning & Development Mentor. Support is also available from our dedicated Student Services team for personal, financial and careers guidance.
During their visit Ofsted commended the College for its provision of “well targeted information, advice and careers guidance, which meets individual needs and enables learners to make informed choices about the next steps in their learning and career”.
Discover what Bolton College can do for you by attending one of our Young People’s Open Events at our Deane Road campus.
Wednesday 17th October 2018, 4.30pm - 7pm
Thursday 22nd November 2018, 4.30pm - 7pm
Tuesday 5th February 2019, 4.30pm - 7pm
Wednesday 3rd October 2018, 3.30pm-7.30pm
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.