A Level: Business Studies at Loughborough College
On the A Level Business course, you’ll learn about all kinds of businesses; from small to large, and UK based to global. You’ll gain an understanding of how the functional areas in a business work, such as finance and operations — money is what keeps a business going, like the fuel in a car, and operations is the engine; producing goods efficiently, and to the qualitydemanded by customers. You’ll also look at the people; how a business recruits and maintains its staff. Then there’s marketing: how a business communicates what they do to their customers, reaching their target markets toimprove sales. Business is an exciting subject, always changing, and no two businesses are the same. Studying A Level Business, you’ll be introduced to current business practice, and be ableto use the knowledge gained to make your own judgements.
Year 1 will address:
- What is business?
- Managers, leadership and decision making
- Decision making to improve marketing performance
- Decision making to improve operational performance
- Decision making to improve financial performance
- Decision making to improve human resource performance
Year 2 units (also drawing on AS knowledge) will address:
- Analysing the strategic position of a business (A Level only)
- Choosing strategic direction (A Level only)
- Strategic methods: how to pursue strategies (A Level only)
- Managing strategic change (A Level only)
- GCSE English Language at grade 4 and GCSE Maths at grade 6
- A previous study of business is not a requirement; however, you should have an interest in business and be prepared to use a variety of communicative skills.
- All Loughborough Sixth Form College courses have minimum entry requirements of at least five GCSEs at grade C/4 or above, including English Language and Maths.
A Level Business Studies will give you the skills and knowledge that you need to progress into Higher Education. It is well regarded by both universities and employers; with opportunities in a variety of organisations, including companies or management consultancies.
Upon completion of this course, you will be prepared for further study at university or be ready for the world of work. There isn't any job that does not require some form of busines knowledge, so the world is your oyster.
To find out more about this qualification, come and visit us at one of ourOpen Days at Loughborough College or contact us at StudentRecruitment@loucoll.ac.uk.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.