Accessibility links

A-Level Physical Education at East Sussex College

Course description

This course is perfect if you are interested in exploring anatomical and physiological knowledge alongside developing your practical skills in sport, fitness, and health.

You will gain an insight into:

  • Applied anatomy and physiology
  • Skill acquisition
  • Sport and society
  • Exercise physiology
  • Biomechanical movement
  • Sport psychology
  • Sport and society and the role of technology in physical activity and sport

For a vast majority of the British population, sport is an integral part of their lives. Whether this be attending the gym, or partaking in amateur club sports team at the weekend.

Course content

This course will enable you to study sport to an advanced level with practical and theoretical components. You’ll understand the changes within the body systems prior to exercise, during exercise of differing intensities, and during recover. You will also learn about the role of sport psychology in optimising performance in physical activity and sport. Other module will include biomechanical movement, sport and society, and the role that technology in physical activity and sport.

Theory lessons will take place at our Station Plaza campus, and practical lessons will take place in our on-site Plaza gym, and neighbouring Horntye Park Sports Complex.

Entry requirements

To apply for this course you will need to meet the minimum requirements of 5 Grade 4 GCSEs (including Maths and English).

Assessment

Your assessments will be at the end of the course and will consist of two exams worth 35% each (70%) of the qualification. The other 30% of the qualification will assess your practical ability as a coach or performer in your chosen activity. You will also need to provide verbal or written analysis of your performance.

Financial information

There may be costs associated with equipment or educational visits.

Future opportunities

A-Level Physical Education provides access to a wide range of university courses, both within and outside the science curriculum.

Physical Education can also prepapre you for Higher Education degrees in Sport and Exercise science that can lead onto to careers in:

  • Working in analytics for professional sports clubs
  • Sports medicine
  • Gym instructor
  • Teaching

How to apply

You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.

Last updated date: 09 January 2019
Provider logo

Key information

Contact details

Venues