Accessibility links

Electrical at Oldham College Apprenticeships

Course description

Oldham College are now delivering the new Level 3 Electrotechnical Standard, designed by employers and recognised by industry.

As an apprentice on the Electrical Installation pathway you will learn how to complete the installation, inspection, testing and commissioning of electrical systems, devices and appliances and equipment in a wide variety of settings including commercial, industrial and domestic.

New entrants will be expected to have Grade 4 or above or A-C in English and Maths.

Course content

Oldham College are now delivering the new Level 3 Electrotechnical Standard, designed by employers and recognised by industry.

As an apprentice on the Electrical Installation pathway you will learn how to complete the installation, inspection, testing and commissioning of electrical systems, devices and appliances and equipment in a wide variety of settings including commercial, industrial and domestic.

New entrants will be expected to have Grade 4 or above or A-C in English and Maths.

Entry requirements

Entry Level Programme: Skills for Life & Work

There are no qualifications required for these courses.

They are designed for students with Special Educational Needs & Disabilities (SEND).

 

Entry Level Programme: Skills & Employability

English & maths GCSE Grades G-U / 1 or English & maths Functional Skills Entry Level 3

 

GCSE Re-sit Study Programme

You will receive an offer of a place on the course subject to passing an English & maths assessment.

 

Vocational Level 1 Programme

English & maths GCSE Grades E-G/1- 2 or English & maths Functional Skills Entry Level 3.

 

Vocational Level 2 Programme

Minimum of 4 GCSEs at grade D/3 including maths and English or a vocational qualification Level 1, plus GCSE grade D/3 in both maths and English. English & maths Functional Skills Level 1 will be accepted as an alternative to GCSEs.

 

Vocational Level 3 Programme

Minimum of 4 GCSEs at grades A-C/4-9 (including maths and English) or a vocational qualification Level 2, plus GCSE grade C/4 in both maths and English

Assessment

Assessment will be made up of externally set and marked on-screen assessments, as well as projects and written assessments set by the awarding body covering theory and practical skills. Workplace performance will be assessed against set assessment criteria and you will complete a portfolio of evidence to show this. Apprentices will also complete an end point assessment the AM2. This is a timed practical and theory assessment requiring you to perform a set of common tasks and procedures that a full scope electrical operative might face when working in commercial or industrial premises as well as dwellings. The AM2 will be graded pass/merit/distinction.

Financial information

Contribution Rules          

  • 16-18 Where the employer has under 50 employees and they are not a levy paying employer the learner is fully funded by the government, this rule also applies to 19-24 year old who are Care Leavers or in possession of an Educational Healthcare Plan
  • 16-18 Where the employer has 50 or more employees and they are not a levy payer there will be a 10% charge with the government paying the remaining 90%. The 10% contribution will be invoiced as per the table above.
  • 16-18 Where the employer is a levy payer, 100% of the funding will be claimed from their digital account on a monthly basis where the payments are scheduled according to the length of the learner's programme
  • 19+ All employers that are not a levy payers there will be a 10% charge with the government paying the remaining 90%. The 10% contribution will be invoiced as per the table above.
  • 19+ Where the employer is a levy payer, 100% of the funding will be claimed from their digital account on a monthly basis where the payments are scheduled according to the length of the learner's programme

Incentives

  • 16-18 The employer will receive £1,000 incentive, 50% at 90 days following enrolment and 50% at 365 days following enrolment assuming the student is still employed and active on the Apprenticeship. The employer will need to invoice the college for this at that time and confirm their eligibility to make the claims at that point. This applies to Apprenticeship Frameworks only and not new Standards.
  • 19-24 Where an employer has an Apprentice under the age of 25 where their earnings are below £43,000 per year the employer does not have to pay National Insurance Contributions (NIC's). Correct at the time of publication, check the HMRC section on gov.uk website

Future opportunities

On successful completion of the Apprenticeship you will be a Qualified Electrician.

There are further progression routes available in the industry and you can carry on earning while you learn, with qualifications such as HNDs, Degrees and Master’s.

Examples of wider employment options are Project Engineer, Contract Manager, Technician.

Further information

It is important that you come along and speak to one of our staff about your choice/s.

Once we receive your application, you will be invited in to speak to a tutor or a member of the Apprenticeship team to discuss your application.

This will provide you with the opportunity to ask any questions you may have about the course/Apprenticeship and to see our facilities.

 

How to apply

You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.

Last updated date: 22 November 2018

Key information

Venues