Horticulture - Level 1 Diploma in Practical Horticulture Skills at Wakefield College
Horticulture level 1 is a programme that is an introduction into the practical and theoretical growing of a range of plants
Horticulturists work on plant propagation, planting, ground maintenance and crop production amongst other things.
Our Level 1 programme of study is designed to provide an introduction to Horticulture and future progression to Level 2 Diploma.
The course is very practical.
A range of practical horticulture units including:
- Prepare for sowing or planting under supervision
- Plant container-grown subjects
- Prepare soil and apply organic mulch
- Water a bed, border or area of plants in containers
- Cultivate land by single digging or forking
- Determine soil pH with colour indicator test kit under supervision
- Plant flower bulbs for naturalisation or bedding
- Prepare and plant a hanging basket
- Prepare and plant a container for display
- Care for a planted area
- Support Individual Stems
- Support plants of wires, frames or trellis
- Sow seed outdoors in drills by hand
- Sow seed indoors in containers
- Propagate by stem cutting
- Pot up rooted cuttings, large seedlings or plugs by hand
- Identify trees and shrubs
- Identify weeds
3 GCSEs at grade 9-1 or A*-G
Entry level qualification with English or Maths at Entry Level 3.
Theory assessment will be short-answer questions and there will be observed practical assessments.
Tuition and certification are free if you are aged 16-18 years old. Related additional costs may include materials, equipment, visits, residentials etc which are payable by all students.
Any student entered/registered with an Awarding Body who has been given free entry and then withdraws or is withdrawn by a tutor will incur the certification fee associated with the course. Any resit examination will incur a cost.
Different fees apply to international students.
For more detailed information on financial support and fees for students aged 19+ please contact the Financial Support Team on 01924 789304.
Progression to the Level 2 Diploma in Practical Horticulture Skills
You will gain the skills and knowledge to work in the horticultural industry as a plant care assistant at a nursery or garden centre or work as part of a professional gardening team.
If you require further information please contact: The Course Information Team on 01924 789111
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.