Welcome to Lawnswood School
Welcome to Lawnswood School
Lawnswood is a successful co-educational 11-18 comprehensive in North Leeds offering excellence in both teaching and learning.
In order for all our students to fulfil their potential we provide the right atmosphere of respect, pride and challenge.
Our Aims and Values
At Lawnswood School, we believe there is no limit to what our Sixth Form students can achieve if they put their minds to it. Our motto is to ‘Embed confidence; fuel ambition’ which reflects our desire to ensure that all our students will leave this school with the skills, attributes and qualifications needed to successfully compete for university places and jobs. To do this, the school promotes the 7Cs for all members of its’ community:
• Curiosity – be inquisitive, ask and answer questions and go ‘beyond’ your course.
• Collaboration – work in partnership with other students and the staff and engage constructively with feedback to improve yourself. It is given to help you, not to hurt you!
• Communication – liaise fully with the people around you if you need support or are struggling and don’t be afraid to express your ideas fully.
• Creativity – try out new ideas and have the confidence to express yourself fully.
• Commitment – persevere and be resilient – Sixth Form is challenging but there is no limit to what you can achieve if you commit fully to your studies.
• Confidence - have a good sense of humour, take a risk, challenge yourself and aspire to be the best that you can be.
• Celebration – reflect on your achievements and those of others in the year group and use these to spur yourself on to further success.
What Ofsted says:
“Students make progress that exceeds the national average and learner aims, success rates and retention rates all compare favourably with the national and local averages.”
“The leadership of the sixth form effectively supports the progression of students from Year 11 into the sixth form and from Year 13 into higher education, training and employment. Extensive, impartial guidance is available to students and a wide range of external partnerships support students to make appropriate choices for their next stage of development.”
“Teaching in the sixth form is consistently strong and no teaching was observed that was less than good. This good teaching enabled students to learn independently and take responsibility for their own progress.”
At Lawnswood we are able to provide excellent facilities to students. Sixth Form students have their own space on the third floor. Here we have the following spaces available for students:
• Common Room – A recreational space which also includes a canteen service, a drinks machine and a kitchenette.
• Sixth Form Library – Above the main school library, this space includes study and computer facilities as well as access to journals and books. This is for exclusive use by Sixth Form students.
• Computer Room – We have a separate room where students can use computers to type up their essays and assignments, as well as research their career and university plans.
• Study Rooms – We also have two additional rooms available for quiet study. The Sixth Form team are based on this floor and are readily available to provide support to students as needed.
We are fortunate to have a number of experienced colleagues to support Sixth Form students. The Sixth Form is led by the Assistant Headteacher: Head of Sixth Form, and is supported by a Student Support Manager for each year group. This team leads on the pastoral care and guidance for all students, as well as providing essential academic support – they have a wealth of Sixth Form experience. In addition each Sixth Former will be assigned to a tutor group and have a form tutor who they will meet with regularly.
At Lawnswood we are delighted to offer a range ofenrichment options that will broaden your horizons and support outstanding applications for UCASand employment. Our enrichment options include:
• The Extended Project Qualification: Students produce a dissertation, fieldstudy, artefact or performance of theirchoice – equivalent to half an A-level.
• Progression Module: Supports the career progression and research of students aswell as enhancing their interview and job application skills – supported by Leeds Beckett and Huddersfield universities.
• Lawnswood Internships: A range of inschool opportunities to take up authentic work experience positions within the school and develop key transferable skills.
Work Experience: Students source a oneweek external placement for themselves that they undertake in June of Year 12.
• Peer and Academic Mentoring.
• We also offer students the opportunity to participate in other activities as they arise during the year. For example in 2015/16 we have students taking part in The Stage workshop programme run by the Old Vic Theatre in London.
Enrichment is a vital part of a Sixth Form student’s study programme and it is an expectation that students will immerse themselves fully in at least one of the opportunities offered.
Lawnswood School consistently delivers excellent results for students. 59% of entries were at A*-B in 2015 which was above the national average. We were also delighted that three of our students were able to take up places at Oxford University, demonstrating our commitment to ensure that students are able to take up places at the very best universities in the country.
How to apply
You can apply for courses at Lawnswood School through UCAS Progress. Add courses to your favourites to apply to this provider.