Welcome to Woodkirk Academy
WE WELCOME APPLICATIONS FROM INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL STUDENTS
99% PASS RATE IN 2016.
A level VA +0.16 (sig+)
Vocational VA +0.30 (+)
Contact Mrs McNab on firstname.lastname@example.org if you require any further information.
On behalf of the Governors, staff and students I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your interest in Woodkirk Academy's Sixth Form.
This website is intended to give all prospective sixth formers a chance to see that joining our Sixth Form will offer a productive, happy and memorable experience.
The Sixth Form offers a range of courses and experiences. Woodkirk students have an impressive history of making the most of the opportunities on offer to gain good results, to make a successful transition to higher education or employment and make a valued contribution to school life.
Our Sixth Form has a friendly and supportive environment which reflects the hard working atmosphere common to the whole school. Great importance is attached to the relationships that our students share with their teachers and form tutors, who monitor progress, oversee their personal development and prepare them for the next stage of their lives.
As a member of our Sixth Form you will have the opportunity to develop a whole range of skills; sporting, dramatic, musical, organisational and leadership which will be of benefit to you throughout the whole of your life. Our Sixth Form is large enough to offer a wide range of opportunities while being small enough to care and treat everyone as an individual.
We are very proud of our school and I hope you enjoy reading about it and, perhaps, seeing first-hand some of the outstanding work produced which reflects the standards we hope to achieve for all prospective students.
Please see the Prospectus by following the link below
The information in this prospectus is designed to help you make your post-16 choices. We feel there are many advantages to being a member of this school community.
The Sixth Form is exciting and progressive with many opportunities for development. It is well balanced in terms of social background, gender and abilities with a deserved reputation of academic success in all areas.
The majority of our students progress to higher education often to the most prestigious institutions in the country. For others, Woodkirk provides an excellent bridge to the world of work.
In addition to our own Year 11 students, we are proud of the increasing number of external students who join us in Sixth Form.
Sixth Form students have two large common rooms and their own canteen and kitchen facilities. The Proctor Suite was opened in 2009 for Sixth Form private study. In September 2012 the a large building was renovated to house 'The Sixth Form Centre' which is equipped with careers information and a variety of areas to study. This is now a computer suite for post-16 students. Students also use the Learning Resources Centre for private study and have the use of a further two computer suites.
The Sixth Form Council regularly discuss other improvements in school.
Our students can take part in the following Activities and Events:
- Field Trip/Courses - Many departments run various visits, conferences and field trips.
- Responsibilities - Each form has a form representative and we also have careers representatives who take responsibility for distributing information about universities, gap year and careers. Sixth Form students are also involved in paired reading and mentoring of our younger pupils.
- Sixth Form Council - The council meet weekly to discuss a variety of issues. In addition, Sixth Form Committees are elected annually and are responsible for the organisation of events such as fund raising and sports events.
- Sixth Form students play a large role in Music, Drama, Dance and Sports.
- A large number of students take part in work shadowing and work experience.
- Curriculum Enrichment - All Year 12 students study the 'Progression Module' accredited by Leeds Metropolitan University and worth 30 UCAS points at a number of Universities.
- Community Involvement - Each year our Year 12 students take an active part in the preparation and organisation of our annual Christmas party for local senior citizens.
- Aimhigher - As part of this programme a number of students have worked closely with neighbouring universities and attended conferences for Criminology and Forensics.
- Students raise money for nominated charities through fancy dress events.
Academic success in the Sixth Form is clearly evident but we always pride ourselves in the emotional support and advice available to students. The large pastoral team have a wealth of experience to draw upon when giving students support and advice.
Monitors/Personal tutors/Subject Tutors
Each student is assigned a monitor and a personal tutor.There will be numerous and regular opportunities to discuss targets and review progress. Regular target setting and progress interviews are carried out to ensure that the emotional and academic needs of our students are met. Similarly, staff at Woodkirk are dedicated and always willing to put in extra time with students to help them on a one to one basis. Specific subject support is available throughout the school day as well as after school hours.
“Parents are very happy with the education their children receive.”
In the Sixth Form
- “Students achieve well because of the good teaching they receive.”
- “Students have good attitudes to learning and their personal development is good”
- “Students receive good support and guidance.”
- “Students enjoy being in the Sixth Form, have very good attendance and have high aspirations.”
How to apply
You can apply for courses at Woodkirk Academy through UCAS Progress. Add courses to your favourites to apply to this provider.