Welcome to Ormiston Bolingbroke Academy
In 2010, Ormiston Bolingbroke Academy opened as the first academy in Runcorn for students aged 11–18. Since then we have welcomed increasing numbers of students into the OBA family, leading to us currently being the only oversubscribed secondary school in Runcorn.
This is testament to the extraordinary talents and effort of our students and staff, where everyone goes that extra mile to allow our students to shine. Our motto, ‘Dare to shine’, perfectly sums up our core mission; to allow all students to flourish, regardless of circumstance or background. As a result, our students’ achievement has proudly stood above national averages for the last three years.
Our strong specialisms of English, Mathematics and Applied Learning permeate the curriculum and contribute to the vibrancy of the Academy. We provide a warm, innovative learning environment that excites, stimulates and challenges students within a secure and caring community.
A a parent myself, I understand that examination results are only one element of our young peoples’ success. Our ‘pledge’ guarantees that every student will experience fifteen key cultural, creative and sporting events in their time with us. The Academy also offers a stunning enrichment programme, with than 120 different sessions every week, as well as a superb Saturday Academy schedule that is open to primary school pupils.
We expect the very highest standards of our students, with our simple mantra of ‘work, hard, be nice, look smart’ setting the tone for everyday life at the Academy.
OBA is a warm and happy place to learn and work at – we go the extra mile so that we can all dare to shine.
Welcome to an exciting future for Ormiston Bolingbroke Academy.
The whole OBA family pursues excellence in its daily work and future goals.
Every member goes that extra mile to ensure that we are constantly improving.
We value the unique talents and characteristics of each member.
Our culture of mutual respect and aspiration allows everyone to ‘dare to shine’…
- Aspiration – students, staff and parents/carers alike share a common desire to achieve and improve. Positive role-models throughout the Academy show that it is ‘cool’ to do well!
- Standards – mutual respect and positive behaviour are seen everywhere in the Academy. Every member of the Academy understands their key role in maintaining these high standards and allowing others to achieve without distraction.
- Pride – we are proud to be part of the OBA family and make every effort to look smart, arrive punctually and attend regularly. We keep our Academy clean, tidy and ready to learn in.
- Consistency – students and staff work together to make sure that everyone receives the same high-quality learning experience every day.
- Character – we understand that people make mistakes in life and we provide every opportunity to build resilience and independence by learning from these.
- Relationships – warm and supportive relationships with our young people and their families secure a genuine foundation of trust on which great learning can flourish.
- Support – every member of OBA is supported by mentors who know how to listen and guide. There are regular opportunities to meet and plan personal development.
- Challenge – we are not afraid to set goals and expectations which may at first seem challenging. We then work together to show how these can and do become achievable.
- Opportunity – all our staff have a 100% commitment to giving our students new experiences, either in the classroom, as enrichment activities and on Academy trips, both in the UK and abroad.
- Learning – everyone knows that learning is the core purpose of all that we do at OBA. Every one of our other values contributes to creating the perfect environment for effective learning to take place in.
The Sixth Form College offers wireless internet access in the Learning
Resource Centre. All classrooms are fitted with data projectors and have
interactive whiteboards.In addition, all Sixth Form students have:
- Access to a wireless laptop linked to the internet via broadband
- A personalised electronic password to access your own virtual learning area
- FREE use of all IT facilities
- Exclusive use of the sixth form cyber café
Sport and Leisure Facilities: The large indoor Sports Hall caters for a range of sports including
volleyball, five-a-side football, basketball, cricket, badminton,
trampolining, netball and tennis. Students can use the floodlit astro-turf
pitch for inter and intra-college fixtures. The fitness suite and swimming
pool are available to sixth formers. Learning Resource Centre: You will be able to utilise an exclusive Sixth Form Learning Centre with
broadband internet access. A dedicated Sixth Form area called The Learning
Centre will provide you with access to journals, textbooks, reference books,
novels and magazines. There are also lockers available for most students. Specialist Learning Resources The Sixth Form will have:
- Well-equipped A-level science facilities
- Spacious art studios
- Music, radio and recording studios
- Well-equipped technology rooms
- A theatre and dance studio
- An engineering centre
- A hairdressing salon
At the Academy we take your academic progress very seriously and careful monitoring will take place throughout the academic year. Each student has an individual interview on enrolment to ensure that we can provide them with the best advice and support from their first day with us. You will also be allocated a Personal Tutor who will oversee only a small number of students so they can offer more thorough and personalised support.
Our Sixth formers receive;
A wireless laptop with broadband access
- High quality teaching in small class sizes
- Use of the Cyber Cafe
- A Guaranteed place at the University of Chester
- Excellent preparation for Higher Education, further training or employment
- Apprenticeship Opportunities with a minimum of two days on-the-job training
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact Ormiston Bolingbroke Academy directly.