Welcome to Ralph Thoresby School
A 21st Century Learning Environment for 21st Century Learners
Our school is a truly comprehensive school. We are proud of our inclusive traditions, proud of our Performing Arts Specialist School status and particularly proud of our reputation for successfully including students with physical disabilities and visual impediments. Alongside all of the brilliant facilities provided by our new school building our students have a highly accessible, stimulating, modern and technologically advanced environment in which to learn.
We have tremendous ambition for all our students and we are dedicated to providing opportunities for them to develop the skills that will ensure they can successfully take their place in a rapidly changing and increasingly complex world. The school motto,‘ Together for Learning ‘ expresses our belief that through collaboration and partnership nothing can prevent our students from achieving their potential.
For all our school community we aim to
- Create a learning environment where the new technologies are used alongside inspiration, creativity and imagination to create confident, flexible and skilful learners.
- Raise the achievement of all our students by providing for diversity and excellence not only in our specialist areas but across the entire curriculum.
- Provide a safe, secure and supportive environment in which to enjoy learn.
- Help our students develop self respect, self confidence, self worth, tolerance and a healthy life style.
Visit our new interactive website www.ralphthoresby.com
Information email address – firstname.lastname@example.org
We believe that Ralph Thoresby School offers students a unique learning experience. The following ‘TOP 5’ attempts to outline some of the features of the school that make us what we are, but it is by no means the full picture!
1. More than anything else, we put the needs and aspirations of each of our students first – we want all of our sixth form to experience success, wherever that may come from
2. We offer a diverse choice of curriculum subjects, including our specialist subjects of dance, drama, media, music and photography.
3. We never lose sight of the next stage in a student’s life, whether that is higher education and/or employment, and provide an extensive programme of information, advice and guidance tailored to individual needs
4. The school buildings and grounds are outstanding with modern, well equipped learning and teaching areas, including a state of the art theatre.
5. Community involvement and active citizenship are integral to our Sixth Form curriculum. Sixth Form students take a lead with mentoring younger students, organising sporting activities, fundraising and supporting adults both within and beyond the school.
Ralph Thoresby is a community school in a very real way. We share our building with the public library and we also have our own purpose built theatre with a seating capacity of 400. This is used extensively for public performances as well as for a fantastic range of school events. Recent whole school productions have included Fame andAnnie.
We have eight specialist science laboratories, five specialist technology rooms, two specialist music rooms, a dance studio, a drama studio, a media suite and a theatre. All of these have been equipped to a modern high specification. We are well equipped with Information Technology resources with interactive whiteboards in all classrooms, three specialist computer rooms, and an independent learning centre equipped with computers. In addition we have banks of laptops available for use in any classroom. Sixth Form students have access to a dedicated study support room with computer and printer facilities. Our on-site sports facilities are outstanding, including an excellent Sports Hall and all weather sports surfaces.
The school is renowned throughout Leeds for its work with learners with a physical disability and visually impaired students. We have specialist resources, including staff and equipment to enable students to fully engage in our curriculum. We are also fortunate in our new building to have a hydrotherapy pool and physiotherapy suite.
Ralph Thoresby Schoolis in Partnership with nearby Lawnswood School allowing us to broaden the 16-19 curriculum, offering a wider choice of courses to our students.
In conclusion, our facilities are state-of-the-art and allow us to follow learning and teaching strategies appropriate to the futures of adults in the 21st century. We offer a wide range of opportunities to students both in and out of the classroom, equipping them with the skills to be successful learners and confident individuals.
The pastoral care system is designed to support each student in their social, moral, academic and spiritual development. Our students are valued as a member of their mentoring group, year cohort and whole school community. All are given an equal chance and the opportunities to succeed.
Post 16 students are led by a dedicated Director of Sixth Form and a team of highly experienced mentors. These staff work closely with subject area leaders to have a focused overview of all of our Sixth Form students. This facilitates the monitoring of student progress and the planning of activities or intervention strategies to raise individual achievement. As well as a fantastic team of teaching staff, we have a large team of individuals who support the students in a variety of ways e.g. learning support assistants, a family support worker, a Connexions Adviser, physiotherapists and youth workers.
Feedback from our current students indicates the high value they put on the individual support we can offer our sixth formers, especially in times of additional workload such as UCAS application and examination preparation.
Finally, we all take a lively interest in our students and their successes and achievements, academic, personal or otherwise, are recognised and celebrated.
The main destination of learners on completion of their Level 3 studies at Ralph Thoresby School is university entrance. Indeed, in 2014 91% of university applicants were accepted by their first choice UCAS higher education institution. University courses chosen by our students are diverse and include dentistry, accountancy, environmental science, economics and medicine.
Some students choose to enter employment or employment with further training at the end of their time with us. In recent years our students have been successful in gaining employment in the creative industries, such as theatre production, retail management and HM armed forces.
We are committed to ensuring that the aspirations of all of our learners are carefully considered and nurtured and appropriate support provided on an individual basis.
How to apply
You can apply for courses at Ralph Thoresby School through UCAS Progress. Add courses to your favourites to apply to this provider.