Accessibility links

Welcome to King Edward VII

Welcome to King Edward VII School


King Edward VII School has a thriving sixth form of around 650 students. The school is committed to providing a wide range of courses (33 A Levels and BTECs) designed to allow students to progress to university, training, apprenticeships and employment. The school is located very near the Hallamshire Hospital and the Sheffield University campus. It is well served by bus and tram routes and is just a 15 minute walk from the city centre.

King Edwards is a high achieving and successful school and in May 2018 Ofsted judged the sixth form to be OUTSTANDING.

  • In 2018 60.3% of students achieved A*-B grades at A Level
  • In 2018 97.5% pass rate at E grade or better
  • In 2018 74 students gained places at Russell Group universities
  • In the last 5 years 37 students have gained places at Oxford and Cambridge
  • Maths is the most popular subject studied at university by ex-King Edwards students
  • Over 20 students who studied on the Engineering Diploma/BTEC courses have gained advanced apprenticeships in the last few years.
  • Some King Edwards students have progressed to Degree Apprenticeships organised through the Sheffield Universities as well as 2 year Foundation Degree courses at the Sheffield College University Centre
  • 40 students started courses at Sheffield Hallam University and Sheffield University in September 2018.


40% of the students in the sixth form have been at King Edwards since Year 7 – the remaining 60% students come from 35 different schools in the region and are vital in making King Edwards a very enjoyable and special place to study. Having such a large sixth form allows us to run a very wide range and combination of courses, some of which are not available in other schools in Sheffield.

King Edwards will work with you to create a programme of study that suits you. It is possible to study a combination of BTEC and A Level courses. Students are stretched, challenged and supported. Committed and talented staff help students to develop high aspirations and to achieve success.


Click here for video:


About us


What students can expect from King Edward VII School

  • Experienced teachers who enable students to achieve their potential
  • A dedicated learning environment
  • Facilities for independent learning
  • Support for learning
  • Guidance and support for university application and employment


What we expect from our students

  • An enthusiasm for learning and a willingness to engage
  • Students should attend and be punctual for all timetabled lessons and apply themselves to achieve their potential*
  • Students should use their non-contact time productively to develop their understanding
  • Students should attend a weekly tutorial and ensure that they are well informed about what is happening in school
  • Students should show respect to staff and to other students
  • Students should respect the school and the facilities provided
  • Students should remember that they are the senior students and set an example
  • Students should dress appropriately for the school environment, (there is no school uniform).

 * Students need to ensure that they do not book holidays in school time; appointments and driving lessons are arranged out of school, part-time work is not arranged in school time; they do not act in an anti-social manner.

Facilities available

King Edwards is very well equipped for Post 16 study. There are about 60 places in the Independent Learning Centre with additional bookable meeting rooms. The main library also provides a quiet place to work throughout the day. Students who wish to work in a more sociable setting can also use the dining hall and Post 16 Common Room.


Learner success



How to apply

You can apply for courses at King Edward VII through UCAS Progress. Add courses to your favourites to apply to this provider.

Last updated date: 01 October 2018

Key information