Welcome to West Kirby Grammar School
West Kirby Grammar School is a Specialist Science College and welcomes applications for the Sixth Form from both male and female students throughout the Wirral and the surrounding areas. Applications are received from November onwards for the following year. Students are invited to attend our New Entrants Evening which takes place in November/December and are then invited to an informal meeting to discuss curriculum opportunities and option choices in relation to their aspirations for Higher Education or Employment.
Ofsted January 2009: “Sixth Form curriculum meets the needs of all, including those who enter the Sixth Form from other schools”. “Students enjoy Sixth Form life and say its strongest feature is the positive relationships between students and teachers”.
- We provide an extensive wide range of AS courses from which students choose four subjects to study in their L6 Year. In addition all students in the L6 follow a General Studies programme leading to an AS qualification.
- We are Specialist Science College, offering well established Advanced Level courses in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and Further Mathematics. Additional events such as the Physics and Biology Olympics at Liverpool University and our Café Scientifique are also part of enhancement opportunities.
- In addition to academic studies, students are encouraged to participate in a very wide range of extension opportunities within our “Epm Enhancement”. This programme includes Community Service, Sign Language, Watersports, Community Sports Leaders Award, Critical Thinking, Yoga, European Computer Driving Licence, Publishing, Self Defence etc.
- We have an excellent careers guidance service and students tell us they particularly value the support they receive with their university applications.
Sixth Form students are based in a Sixth Form Centre with specialised Psychology, English and Business Studies teaching rooms, a Digital Media Suite equipped with computers and a large common room. In addition Easdale Sixth Form House on Meols Drive, provides small seminar rooms, a kitchen and common rooms. Study facilities in school also include a sixth form study room, sixth form library with computer access and a dedicated Careers Room.
Ofsted January 2009: “Students receive exemplary support when they enter the Sixth Form, during their studies and as they prepare for transition to higher education and future careers.”
“Students personal development and well-being are also outstanding”
Students are supported through the sixth form by experienced form tutors who help them through the transition from GCSE to Advanced Level study and provide guidance through the UCAS application system.
Additional Study Skill Guidance is provided by our Specialist Sixth Form Learning Mentor, Head of Sixth Form and Assistant Head of Sixth Form who have offices in the sixth form centres.
Our extensive careers guidance programme supports students during their decision making for post Sixth Form employment or Higher Education.
Ofsted January 2009: “Standards are consistently above the national average.” “Students make outstanding progress during their time in the Sixth Form and the vast majority continue their studies at university.”
“Students of different abilities and backgrounds achieve very well and those with gifts and talents are challenged appropriately.”
- 100% pass rate at Advanced Level
- Over 95% of our students proceed onto Higher Education
- Boys who join the sixth form did equally well as girls
- Average point score for an individual student in 2013 of 413.65
- The % of top grades (A*/A/B grades) was 74% in 2013
- Since 2003 our student achievement at Advanced Level has placed us in the top 5% of schools nationally
- Regular student successes with Oxford and Cambridge Applications
- Individual achievement at A level often results in “top five” awards when students achieve outstanding results nationally for their examination board
- Top rated Wirral school in the Times Good School Guide – 80th
- Best Advanced level results in the Wirral for the last 4 years
Ofsted January 2009: “The contribution that sixth form students provide to the rest of the school and the wider community is exemplary: organising whole school events, acting as mentors and role models to younger students and raising money for charities”.
- Sixth Form students organise and manage “House Events”
- Over 100 students undertook Community Service placements in 2013
- Students mentor KS3 classes, supporting with homework, assemblies and other aspects of school life
- Students work as Peer Mentors for Year 7 pupils
- Students are involved with classroom support working alongside teachers in junior classes
- 98 students achieved Duke of Edinburgh Bronze Award in 2013
- 15 students achieved Duke of Edinburgh Silver Award in 2013
- 46 students achieved the Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award in 2013
- 6 students achieved Duke of Edinburgh Young Leader Award in 2013
- Many students achieved the new National V Award in 2013
- Students get involved with Gifted and Talented Days and Science Discovery Days for younger pupils
- Students help run an after school Science Club for local junior schools
- Students run lunchtime clubs for junior pupils such as Drama Club, Eco Club, Badminton Club etc.
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact West Kirby Grammar School directly.