Welcome to Birkenhead Sixth Form College
Birkenhead Sixth Form College is the biggest and most popular sixth form in the area. Specialists in A Level and BTEC education, we are driven by our commitment to hard work and our absolute conviction that all students have the capacity to excel - perhaps you just don’t know it yet! What we do is shaped by our core values of Positivity, Ambition, Resilience and Thoughtfulness: values that those who join us, both staff and students, uphold.
We are very proud of all the success that our students have experienced at the College both academically and in terms of their personal development. We offer a huge range of clubs and societies and a wide range of volunteering opportunities. Our success has been recognised by the local, regional and national accolades that have been awarded to us recently.
We are rated by OFSTED as Outstanding in everything we do, or, to put it another way - the achievements, development and behaviour of our students is rated as Outstanding.
The Sixth Form College is located in Claughton Village next to Birkenhead Park and is Wirral’s specialist Sixth Form College and a Centre of Academic Excellence for sixth form studies.
Why choose a Sixth Form College?
By choosing The Sixth Form College you are choosing the following:
- A College where everything is shaped by our core values of Positivity, Ambition, Resilience and Thoughtfulness.
- A supported approach to student learning that provides a ‘stepping stone’ from school to university or the wider world of work..
- More than 60 A-level and BTEC courses, available in any subject combination, to suit each student’s ambitions and abilities.
- New and modern learning environments designed for sixth form study.
- Dedicated sixth form teachers and specialist support staff.
- One-to-one pastoral care for each student.
- Independence within a supportive environment.
- An all-round excellent education with a wide range of enrichment activities available.
In January 2017, Ofsted published its report and rated the College as Outstanding in all areas. Or to put it another way – the achievements, progress and behaviour of our students is rated Outstanding.
The full report is available online at bsfc.ac.uk/college-information/OFSTED
A programme of study to suit abilities and ambitions
The Admissions Team work with students to tailor a programme of study that suits their abilities and future ambitions. Students receive 1:1 counselling at interview and Year 11 students can try new courses at an extensive twilight taster session programme run by the College in February/March. All new students are also invited to an exciting “Fresher’s Day” after GCSEs when they meet their new A level teachers and experience a day in the life of a BSFC student. When new students join us in September, the transition from high school is made easy with our fun and innovative “Find your Feet” programme that enables students to settle in to College life smoothly.
As well as supporting successful academic study, the college offers other opportunities to provide students with the skills and knowledge to raise aspirations and build life skills that will help them develop as a person. These include:
- A wide range of subject related trips both within the UK and further afield.
- A wide range of voluntary opportunities both locally and internationally.
- A range of public speaking opportunities, including “Youth Speaks”; the Rotary public speaking competition; The Bar Mock Trial competition and the Wirral Youth Parliament.
- A wide range charity initiatives, including “Bake-off” style competitions; hand-made remembrance poppies and Children in Need.
- A comprehensive and innovative tutorial programme is delivered to support students which incorporates our acclaimed BePART programme that teaches our students to be positive, ambitious, resilient and thoughtful in all that they do.
- A fantastic leadership programme for our team of Student Ambassadors who represent the College and support their fellow students in arrange of activities.
The Sixth Form College is a fantastic place to be a student and provides a real stepping stone to university. Many students are ready for a change from a school environment and enjoy meeting new people of their own age from all over Wirral and Liverpool. Our Find your Feet programme helps students settle down and our Fun Friday events help build a real sense of college community. The college Facebook and Twitter pages are a great way of finding out what has been happening at the college.
Find out More
Why not come and find out for yourself – Open Evenings are held throughout the year and information on these is contained on the college website www.bsfc.ac.uk.
The Sixth Form College is proud of being able to offer students access to the best facilities and resources to support them during their time at the college. The college provides an environment that is tailored for sixth form study and offers students every
opportunity to succeed within a sixth form setting.
The College has benefitted from an extensive investment programme in recent years with new buildings and facilities including:
- New School of Art & Design
- New Humanities Building
- New Science Laboratories
- New Learning Assistance Base
Other facilities include:
- The Hub – a university-style integrated learning space over two floors
- 8SQ Social Space with Café and Conservatory
- Wi-Fi access throughout the College
- Individual Virtual Learning Environment
- Unrestricted access to the College network and software every hour of every day
- Access to Microsoft applications and Microsoft training as part of the College’s Microsoft IT Academy
- Extensive range of e-learning resources
- Dedicated ICT rooms
- iMac suites
- State of the art PCs and iMacs
- Laptops and netbooks
- IPod touches and Flip cameras available on loan
- Colour printers, copiers and scanners
- Subject material – print and online
- Drama Studio and performance spaces with tiered auditorium
- Music facilities for composition, multi-tracing and sequencing
- Music practice rooms
- Gym – free to all students and staff
Student Development Team
When students start at the college they join a tutor group led by an experienced personal tutor whose job is to look after each student’ personal development and progress.. The tutors works with students to ensure that they are fully supported in all aspects of College life as they make the move from school to college and that they achieve their full potential.
Students meet with their tutor group weekly to cover relevant and interesting topics such as Health, Finance, Careers Advice and outside speakers regularly come in to talk to groups. Students also meet with their tutor on a 1:1 basis to discuss progress at college and how they are progressing in each subject. Tutors support and advise students in career choices and applications for Higher Education, Further Education, training or employment.
In addition to the tutorial programme there are a number of specialists who can provide additional support and guidance as appropriate.
Students with Learning Support Needs
The College is proactive in providing facilities and support to meet the needs of students with additional needs. The Learning Support Team works closely with students, parents and subject staff to ensure that every student is fully supported. Please contact the Learning Support Team at email@example.com to find out more about the specialist support available.
Higher Education and Careers Guidance
The majority of students on advanced level courses proceed to university. Advice and assistance is available via personal tutors regarding possible institution and course choices. Visits to universities are organised and tutors will provide any additional support that may be needed. Work shadow and work experience opportunities are available to enhance CVs and job applications.
Subject tutors will hold discussions with students to make an assessment of their progress on a regular basis, helping to set short-term targets and maximise success. Parents Evenings are held at key stages during the academic year.
Academic Writing Programme
The College offers an Academic Writing Programme to support the transition from GCSE to A Level and enhance performance through improved writing.
Academic Mentor Programme
The College offers an Academic Mentor Programme where university students come and mentor our students in a range of academic subjects, offering peer support and encouragement.
Subject Plus Sessions
Extra help is available as timetabled sessions for students who benefit from extra help in specific subjects.
The College is proud of its academic achievements and announced excellent results in summer 2017. The results position the college as one of the top performing inclusive sixth forms on the Wirral and the pass rate exceeds both the national average and Wirral average pass rate. The college outperformed 78% of AS providers nationwide and many courses are ranked in the top 10% nationally.
The Sixth Form College prides itself on the individual achievements of its students and each year students’ progress onto university courses at prestigious universities including Oxbridge and Russell Group universities.
Details of the most recent learner successes and destinations can be found on the college website under College Information.
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact Birkenhead Sixth Form College directly.