Welcome to Caludon Castle Business Enterprise School
WELCOME TO CALUDON CASTLE
We feel confident that Caludon offers excellent courses for all our students, whatever their interests and abilities. We offer over 30 Advanced Level courses and an exciting combined one-year level 2/3 course incorporating a BTEC and re sit GCSEs. We are also part of the East Federation, a group of 9 secondary schools and Henley College, and students are able to access more courses through the Federation.
The Sixth Form has its own purpose built facilities within the school building. These facilities include a large common room, designated study area with ICT facilities and access to the onsite community library.
We hope your time in the Sixth Form will be both enjoyable and stimulating, whether you come into the Sixth Form for one or two years. We expect your wholehearted commitment to the courses you will study; in return we promise you our fullest support.
This prospectus is not intended to tell you everything, but it is expected that it will give you ideas and spark questions, which staff will be only too happy to answer.
Caludon Castle’s large Sixth Form is situated in the heart of the school and provides a vibrant, exciting and stimulating place to study. Expectations are high and results are extremely good. All our students have access to a wide range of courses that are personalised to suit each individual student’s ability, needs and future aspirations. In addition to an extensive range of courses and enrichment activities, we offer a dedicated sixth form team who support, encourage and monitor student progress throughout the year. All we ask is a positive attitude and willingness to learn.
The vast majority of students have made outstanding progress by the time they leave Year 13 and the majority attain well above average. Outstanding and highly effective teaching engages students in their learning. Teachers promote problem solving and encourage students to take responsibility for their learning through paired and group work. The school’s rigorous target setting and tracking ensures that staff set challenging targets and students are regularly able to discuss their progress. Systems are in place to support any student who is at risk of underachieving or who has issues that affect commitment to learning. The outstanding curriculum is flexible and meets the needs of all sixth form students well.
Students enjoy life in the sixth form and value the wide variety of enrichment opportunities provided. They demonstrate maturity both in their studies and in their roles within the school community. Most students are heavily involved in the life of the school; this ranges from organising after school activities with younger students to being outstanding role models in their commitment to learning at the highest level.The leadership and management of the sixth form are outstanding. There are extremely effective systems for monitoring the progress of students and measuring the impact of provision on student outcomes.
As well as AS and BTEC level 3 courses, Caludon Castle offers all students in Year 12 a core programme of courses. This programme is designed to both enrich and extend academic studies and prepare students for life after the Sixth Form. The programme includes:
- Tutor or Mentor group, including regular individual meetings with tutor.
- Extended Research Project (AS level) for all, offering independent research and study skills.
- Enrichment and Community Action: a placement in Year 12, helping in the community on a project of your choice. Options include assisting at a local Primary School, volunteering at our local hospital and helping out a lower school class in a subject you are studying, peer mentoring, sports leadership and the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme. Students also support a lower school tutor or mentor group.
- Work Insight or Experience programme in Year 12 for students;
- Higher Education preparation programme: visit to Birmingham University for all students, guidance on personal statements, UCAS support and finance advice, visits to Oxford and Cambridge Universities for selected students and additional support for Oxbridge applications. We have close links with Warwick, Birmingham and Coventry universities.
- Careers advice and guidance: outside speakers, from a range of industries and career fairs, Realising Opportunities and our on site Careers Advisor.
- A variety of trips offered by many subject areas.
- One Year Post 16 Course:
This course, offered to Caludon Castle students only, gives students the chance to begin a level 3 course in Public Services whilst aiming to gain C grades in both Maths and English. It is designed to bridge the gap between GCSEs and either A level study or other progression routes such as apprenticeships or college the following year.
All students are welcome at Caludon and we have a range of courses to suit all students. We want our students to follow a route which brings them success and for this reason all courses in Year 12 have entry requirements. These requirements are based on our understanding of the demands of the courses and the qualities which students need to meet these demands successfully. Students following level 3 courses (i.e. A levels and BTEC National level 3 courses) need to have a minimum of 5 GCSEs, including English and Maths. However some courses have additional specific requirements or preferences, including students needing 5 GCSEs at grade B or better, or a grade B in a specific subject. We are always flexible in our approach and look at each application on its merits, with the aim of helping each individual student achieve the best possible grades.
We expect our students to demonstrate a positive commitment to learning and conduct, acting as role models for the school. Students sign the Caludon Commitment as a learning agreement.
- Purpose built sixth form suite of rooms, including common room, spacious air conditioned work area with high specification pcs and a student café for the use of older students.
- Large community library and resource centre, open after school
- Leisure facilities including a Sports centre with swimming pool and multi gym
- On site Careers Advice.
- All year round support by a dedicated, experienced post-16 team
Every Sixth Form student matters and at Caludon Castle we have a strong management team who are determined to ensure that every student is valued, encouraged and supported to achieve their very best. The team has an excellent track record of ensuring success
with both university and job applications.
All students have a dedicated tutor, whom they will meet with regularly in Year 12 and 13 individually and as part of their tutor group. In Year 13 their tutors provide study support and discuss career choices and help with UCAS applications.
OFSTED “Systems are in place to support any student who is at risk of underachieving or who has issues that affect commitment to learning”.
All learning providers are required to take reasonable steps to cater for all learners. We have an Accessibility Plan under the Special Educational Needs and Disability Act aimed at continually improving accessibility to the curriculum, physical environment and written information. We also have a Disability Equality Strategy under the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act 2005.
WHAT OUR STUDENTS SAY
- Teachers help and support you from Year7 through to Year 13’
- ‘There is a wide range of courses to choose from, something to suit everyone.’
- ‘Teachers give you respect.’
- ‘They never give up on you’.
- ‘Course facilities are excellent; the media suite for example has Macs and a recording studio’.
- ‘The Sixth Form has a relaxed friendly atmosphere’.
99.7% A level pass rate (51.4% A* - B rate)
School cohort: 1537
Sixth form cohort: 330
Sixth Form Team
Deputy Headteacher: Mrs C Waring
Head of Sixth Form/Head of Rowling House: Mrs R Roberts
Deputy Head of Sixth Form/Head of Schrödinger House: Mrs S Carter
Ast. Headteacher/Head of Apple House: Mr A Handy
Admin Support for Rowling House: Trudi Queen
Admin Support for Schrödinger House: Sharon Veasey
Admin Support for Apple House: Tracey Hamill
For any specific queries please contact the school direct email firstname.lastname@example.org Tel 024 76 444822 Extn 818
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact Caludon Castle Business Enterprise School directly.