Welcome to City College Coventry
City College Coventry is committed to ensuring students choose the course that is right for them. We will help you to progress successfully through further education and maximise your future learning and career prospects.
Our College offers a wide range of vocational programmes, Apprenticeships and A Levels for you to consider. We are the only further education provider of A Levels in the city. We provide an extensive support network to students including careers advice, counselling, financial and additional support if required.
Our excellent facilities aim to support your learning and personal development. They also aim to enable you to relax, make friends and socialise.
To find out more about City College Coventry check out the courses at our website www.covcollege.ac.uk
Please note we no longer provide A Level tuition.
Highly Qualified Staff
Students are taught in an adult atmosphere of mutual respect by our dedicated, experienced and highly qualified staff. As well as being experts in their fields, the majority have experience of working in industry and in business.
When you join the College as a full time student you are allocated a progress tutor who will plan your programme and qualification aims with you as well as review your progress on a regular basis.
Together you will come up with an individual learning plan. You will receive a yearly written report on your progress and will have regular tutorials.
What the Ofsted inspectors said about us at our last inspection
Ofsted inspection reports provide important information for students and parents as they present a comprehensive and impartial picture of educational institutions.
Our last inspection identified the College’s key strengths as:
- Strong leadership by governors and senior managers
- Personal support for students
- Good accommodation and specialist resources
- Good internal communications
- Highly effective collaboration and partnerships
- The inclusive nature of the College’s provision
What students told the inspectors they liked about us:
- Knowledgeable and approachable teachers
- Helpful and friendly support staff
- The workshops and practical work areas
- Good access to IT facilities
- Friendly college atmosphere
- College’s central location
Trips and Visits
Many courses run trips and visits, which will provide travel opportunities designed to enrich your learning experience.
- Our fashion students have visited Florence’s fashion week to prepare themselves for their own fashion exhibitions
- Our public services students attend residential visits, which see them white water rafting and abseiling
- Our graphic design students this year attended a three-day design conference in London’s Leicester Square
- Our performing arts students regularly perform at the Edinburgh Festival. They have also received visits and performances from nationally acclaimed dance groups to the college and;
- Our business students have visited Paris, Stonehenge and Alton Towers and have plans to go to Jersey and New York.
As a full time student enrichment activities are organised for you to take place during the five Learner Management Weeks that are scheduled throughout the year and on Wednesday afternoons.
One of the best things about leaving school and studying at college is all the new friends you will make. Students at the college come from all over Coventry, Warwickshire and beyond.
Many of our students come to us from overseas. Currently studying at the college we have students from all over the world.
This makes for a rich and vibrant environment where you can meet people from all different sorts of backgrounds and cultures.
The Swanswell Centre is also close to the City Centre and is a purpose built facility.
Our open evenings are a good chance to check out our facilities, these are scheduled throughout the year, please check our website for details or call 024 7679 1000 for further information.
Students have access to all facilities.
Learning Resource Centres
- Internet access on all computers
- Specialist support and advice
- Printing and scanning
- USB keys, floppy disks, CDs and CD RWs
All of the computers are networked and provide easy access to all the latest applications and systems including Windows XP.
The centre has a bright, modern, well stocked library offering the following:
- Books, magazines, newspapers, videos, audio tapes and CD-Rom databases
- Computers with access to the Internet
- Photocopying, audio listening and video watching facilities
- Study areas
- Comfortable environment for individual studying and group learning.
The hairdressing, beauty and holistic salons offer a range of holistic treatments and natural therapies. For a small charge you can enjoy a relaxing massage, facial, manicure, aromatherapy or reflexology or change your image with a new hairstyle. They are open on selected days and evenings and offer a 25% discount for all students.
The reception for booking hair and beauty treatments can be found in the South Buidling alternatively, you can phone to make an appointment on (024) 7679 1000.
As a student at City College Coventry you automatically become a member of the National Union of Students (NUS). Membership of the NUS entitles you to discounts in shops, cinemas, sports centres, restaurants, theatres, heritage centres, nightclubs and much more.
Coming to study at college is a big step, and we are here to support you every step of the way from initial enquiry, right through your time with us on course up until you are ready to take your next step. We are committed to ensuring that you make the most of your experience with City College Coventry.
We have fully trained and widely experienced Careers Advisors that offer the following service:
- Help students with careers advice and guidance from pre-entry to college, throughout their time on course and when it is time for students to make their next move
- Provide one to one, group or drop in sessions
- Liaise closely with college tutors to ensure students’ needs are fully met
- Assist with job hunting or applying for higher education courses
- Offer a well-equipped careers library and on-line careers material
- They are based within student services so are easily able to make any necessary referrals
- They have good links with universities and employers
- They work closely with the Connexions Advisors based in the college and out at Coventry secondary schools.
If you ever need someone to act as a sounding board for your worries, whether it is pressure relating to study or personal issues, help is available. Sometimes it can be more helpful to talk to someone who can view your problems from a more objective standpoint.
There are professional counsellors situated within Student Services. Counsellors are available to all students and are trained to help you.
There is financial support available to contribute to your childcare costs, should you be interested in finding out more details please contact the the Childcare Advice & Guidance worker at the college who can advise you about your childcare options, (024) 7679 1561
When you attend college, there is financial support available. This comes in the form of the Discretionary Learner Support Fund (dLSF) and cover things like;
- Equipment and materials for your course
- Fees and exam costs
- Extra costs associated with staying on your course
The Additional Learning Support team provide a wide range of academic support including literacy, numeracy and English for speakers of other languages on a one to one basis. We also have a team of dedicated tutors who specialise in specific learning difficulties
such as dyslexia as well as autistic spectrum disorders. There are also regular meetings and social events for the dyslexia support group and also the asperger’s support group.
We provide physical access support along with personal enablers for those in need and we can provide support for those with profound and complex disabilities and mental health difficulties.
Our SASU (Student Access and Support Unit) is well-known in the Coventry and Warwickshire area and provides support and guidance to D/deaf people in education using a variety of communication methods, such as sign language, lip speaking, note taking and technical aids. This service is provided via a professional team consisting of Teachers for Deaf Students and Educational Communicators, who have a wealth of experience in the field of Deafness and education.
Our admissions process will enable you to tell us your support needs at an early stage using the college application form. We aim to visit all local schools in order to introduce ourselves and inform all young people of the type of support on offer at City
College Coventry, and not to be embarrassed to ask for help.
If you would prefer to discuss your support requirements in a confidential setting with the additional support manager, please call (024) 7679 1675 to make an appointment or just have an informal chat. We want to put your mind at rest so that you can be confident you will be getting the best support available.
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact City College Coventry directly.