Welcome to St Benedict's Catholic School
Hello and welcome to our school. We are a high achieving, caring, learning community with a distinctive Catholic ethos. This enables us to underpin everything we do with our core values of Faith, Respect, Service, Responsibility, Justice and Compassion. We welcome children from all backgrounds, abilities, faiths and those of no faith. We are an excellent school with a fabulous sixth form of which we are very proud.
Our school caters for children aged 11 – 18 over two centres. Years 7 & 8 are based at our Lower school centre and Years 9 – 13 at our Upper School centre. This enables us to provide specialised provision for individual age ranges successfully. We apply the three key principles of Growth, Mastery and Teamwork into our work in order to achieve the best for each member of our school community.
Our students at St Benedict’s are talented, polite and determined to succeed. They are involved in a variety of extra-curricular activities, including charity work and service in the local community. Our student leaders are excellent role models for the rest of the student body and show the spirit of teamwork and community in a very positive way. Extra-curricular take up of Sport, Art and Music is extremely high at St Benedict’s.
We are proud of our school and its ethos. We hold the Gold Award for Religious Studies and make sure that the Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural development of each student is a priority. Students therefore leave us well rounded and prepared for life in the world as responsible young people with a very strong sense of social justice, respect and care for others.
"To work in partnership with parents, the Church and society in order to be a community in which young people are well educated and prepared to be effective Christians in the modern world."
· Community - To create a community motivated by personal commitment to Christ's teachings in which our students may develop and take their places as mature Christians in society.
· Curriculum - To provide a broad and balanced curriculum in order to enable students to become aware of their unique qualities, develop them to the best of their ability and be able to respond to the changing needs of society.
· Communications and Relationships - To create an atmosphere of mutual respect and care so that each student may achieve personal autonomy and a respect for others regardless of gender, race or religion.
· Worship - To integrate prayer and worship into the daily life of the School so as to foster the development of the faith of each individual.
· Individual Support and Development - To enable all concerned with the School to have a sense of purpose, the feeling of being valued and the opportunity for personal growth.
· Learning – Learning is the key purpose of a school. At St Benedict’s, we are constantly striving to make learning purposeful, exciting and challenging. Our expectations of our students are high – that they should do their best, and should
develop the self-motivation and self-discipline that will make them independent, lifelong learners.
· Respect – At St Benedict’s, our Code of Behaviour is founded on the idea of Respect: Respect for Oneself, Respect for Others and Respect for the Environment. By insisting on every person showing Respect, we hope to form a community where
all can feel safe and secure, being themselves and achieving their potential.
· Prayer – Acts of Worship and Prayer are part of the daily life of our School. Meeting together as Tutor Groups, Years or as a School, we share our belief in the teaching of Jesus Christ. That shared belief gives us a very special sense of community, and is a vital part of our mission to prepare young people to be “effective Christians in the modern world”.
St Benedict’s is situated on the outskirts of Bury St Edmunds and is readily accessible by car or public transport. The school has six acres of playing fields and the accommodation is spacious and under constant improvement. As well as recently modernised Computer and Mathematics facilities, there are specialist suites for all subject departments. All the Science laboratories have been upgraded and a new Drama studio opened in 2004. The School Library has been transformed into a Learning Resource Centre with the addition of a suite of computers.
In addition to the Learning Resource Centre, there are 4 more dedicated Computer suites, making St. Benedict’s one of the best-equipped schools for ICT in the area. Remodelling the School Hall enhances our facilities for Sport, Drama and Worship, as does the addition of a Fitness Studio in 2010 to enhance sport and promote healthy lifestyles. Special Needs provision is excellent, and based in a new suite also added in 2010. Art, Drama and Music flourish and, in spite of the schools relatively small size, success on the games field is notable.
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact St Benedict's Catholic School directly.