Welcome to Shrewsbury College
Shrewsbury College is a great place to study. We are proud of our College and believe that everyone is entitled to equal treatment and must be treated with respect
Our vision is: Raise aspiration, achierve potentail, enjoy success
We have a wide range of subject areas in many work related qualifications to offer you and at various levels, whether you want a job or to go on to university. We want students to enjoy their time with us so we will support you and encourage you to aim high and progress to your chosen career.
Our courses will provide you with:
- Lots of practical experience and work-based exercises
- Core employment skills that employers want you to have
- Lecturers with experience in industry and commerce
- Industry-standard facilities, including a hair and beauty salon (Evolve), a restaurant (Origins), redeveloped technology workshops, a Performing Arts Theatre, art and design studios and extensive sporting facilities
- Specialist subject facilities include a Roland Music Academy
- Choices to progress to the next level or apply for a job, the opportunity to go on to a range of UK universities, or study a degree level course here at Shrewsbury College (Our Level 3 Diplomas take 2 years to complete and are equivalent to 3 A Levels)
Visit our website for more details - www.shrewsbury.ac.uk
The College constantly reviews the courses on offer to ensure students are studying employer and university recognised qualifications.
We have links and partnerships with over 600 local companies as well as international organisations which means you have many opportunities for work experience, placements, Apprenticeships and employment.
We have changed the ways you can study to make it more flexible. You can now study a programme of GCSEs and A levels alongside vocational qualifications.
The tutors across all subject areas are very experienced and highly qualified within their own field of expertise with many working in the vocational areas as well as teaching.
As a student you will be expected to take responsibility for your own learning and will be guided how to do this. Learning opportunities are all around you in the age of developing technology, social media and the internet. We will encourage you to use this to learn and regularly use technology within sessions.
Assessment methods vary within courses: for A Levels and GCSEs there are externally set exams with national compulsory dates – you must check these and ensure you attend for them. For some qualifications you will need to take online assessments as well as oral and practical assessments.
With all coursework, you will be given feedback on your progress and performance, this feedback will be supportive to identify the steps needed to improve and reach the highest standard.
Shrewsbury College offers a wide range of facilities to accompany its varied curriculum.
- We have a large engineering block and the curriculum provision has been extended to allow students to specialise in marine, aeronautical and civil engineering. There is also Motor Sport and Motor Vehicle.
- Our Performing Arts building offers a commercial box office and bar, theatre and dance and drama studios as well as a music production suite for which we have Roland Academy status.
- We have an Art School with an exhibition and gallery area that has a long established and respected reputation
- Our new commercial restaurant Origins is part of a £15million development, it houses two state-of-the-art professional kitchens where our hospitality and catering students learn from chef and hospitality lecturers and provide day time and evening menus in our commercial restaurant
- Our new professional hair and beauty salon Evolve has opened on-site, as part of a £15million development. Professional staff work in the salon and it offers work experience and placements for high achieving students
- A new sixth form for students with learning difficulties and disabilities has opened on site in partnership with a local specialist academy – it’s the first of its kind in the UK!
- The College’s new Maths and English Academy enables you to continue working towards gaining your GCSEs in Maths and English if you do not already have C grades
- A new Student Learning Centre has an emphasis on learning technology with a dedicated Higher Education centre. Distance Learning is also available.
- An expanded new Student Zone (The Hub) is for study, to chill out and eating.
- For sports and recreation we have a large community sports centre full-size athletics track and new 3G pitch, tennis courts and a tennis academy.
- The Agency has been developed as a specialist team offering study support, employability skills, careers advice, work experience, enterprise and enrichment opportunities. They work with employers to find job opportunities and local vacancies.
Learning Support Specialists will discuss any identified needs and agree an initial support plan with you. Support may be provided in class, as a small group, or one to one. The support plan will be regularly reviewed and amended as you work towards independent learning.
Progression Specialists are attached to each curriculum team and they will support you to identify areas of your character and experience that you can develop. This will help you with your progression at College and into work or higher education.
The Higher Education and Careers Advisor offers careers guidance and advice on progression routes into employment or Higher Education at the College or at a university.
It is important that young people receive the right help at the right time and to make sure that happens we have a dedicated and trained Safeguarding Team here at College who will listen to you, understand your concerns and take prompt action should they feel you or others are at risk of harm.
Ofsted gave us our best rating in July 2014 - we were rated Good across the board.
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact Shrewsbury College directly.