Welcome to Hereward College
Hereward College exists to provide students with the best possible learning experience. Whatever your interests and abilities we want to help you gain the skills and qualifications you need to get the most out of life. As an integrated college we are pleased to welcome residential disabled students and students from our local community and provide a range of services to meet your needs. Hereward College is a general further education college with extensive provision for students with disabilities. It has been open since 1971 and attracts residential students with disabilities from across the UK and overseas, as well as students who may or may not have disabilities from the local area. From Business Studies to Sports, Creative Studies to Media and Basic Skills to Modern Languages, we aim to provide courses that open doors for our students. As a national college we welcome students with disabilities as well as people from our local area, whether they are disabled or not. We offer a programme of study that is tailored to the needs and future development of students.
Hereward supports students with a wide range of needs and aspirations, and we believe we can offer you a unique learning environment.
- experienced teaching staff;
- a wide range of subjects to choose from at all levels;
- access to the latest technology and resources;
- a friendly and supportive atmosphere;
- a Learning Resource Centre with access to the latest learning materials;
- special advice and guidance on benefits, careers and higher education.
- an accessible learning and living environment;
- the opportunity to study in an integrated environment;
- learning programmes designed to increase your skills for independence;
- 24 hour medical and care support;
- specialist technical and enabling support;
- physiotherapy, speech and language therapy and Conductive Education.
Our classrooms, learning centres and studios are equipped with the latest information learning technology, much of it adapted with specialised hardware and software to ensure students with disabilities have full access to all learning opportunities. The college provides a wide range of resources which are used by students to enhance access to their chosen learning programme. These range from computer based solutions to other non-technical equipment such as wrist supports, copy holders and height adjustable work surfaces. Where it is not possible to use commercially available solutions, the college may be able to adapt existing equipment of arrange for tailor-made solutions to be provided. Hereward College was purpose built for students with disabilities. Most buildings and facilities are accessible by wheelchair and the majority are on ground floor level. Ramps, lifts, hoists and toilet facilities are accessible to students with disabilities, as are parking spaces near to the main entrance. The college’s residential accommodation offers a range of living environments for students with disabilities. These offer a variety of study bedrooms and communal kitchen, lounge and bathroom facilities.
We aim to equip you with the skills you need in our ever-changing technological society. Our teaching and support staff are widely experienced in working with students of all ages, and are particularly expert in teaching and supporting disabled learners.
- Specialist careers advice and opportunities for work experience
- Personal care enabling and medical support
- Speech therapy and dyslexia support
- Physiotherapy and fitness programmes
- Conductive Education
- Student Reviews
- Welfare and Benefits Information Service
- Personal Tutors, counselling and mentoring services
- Access Arrangements For Examinations
- Psychological, social and emotional support
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact Hereward College directly.