Welcome to Bedford College
Welcome to the Bedford College website, which has everything you will need to be able to make an informed choice about your training and education.
Whether you are leaving school, an international student, interested in degree-level courses, want to study part-time to improve your job prospects, or would just like to take up a new activity, we want you to understand what it is that makes Bedford College such a great place to study. We can also offer you advice if you are an employer who is responsible for staff training. Our dedicated business training pages are designed to meet all your staff development needs. You can contact our Employer Training Services team directly for tailored programmes and support.
You can also find out about our latest awards, see the facilities we have available and use our course finder to discover what we can offer you.
Bedford College aims to be one of the best general further education colleges in the country, offering courses at all levels from entry level to higher education. In particular we wish to be recognised as:
- the leading advocate for learning within the local community with strong and productive links with other partners
- a nationally recognised centre of excellence in arts and technology education
- the leading provider of care, leisure and business training in the county
- the best local sixth form measured by results and value added scores
- a leading and innovative provider of work-based and community-based learning
- a provider of expert and individual guidance, advice and other student support services, including first class learning environments
- a first choice employer, well managed and financially robust.
Learning Resources Centre (LRC)
Our modern LRC is the place for you to spend time studying outside of classes, with study spaces and over 30,000 resource items including books, journals, DVDs and e-resources to support your learning. You can also access our 90 computers including PCs, Macs and netbooks, or make use of our free WiFi during opening hours.
If you choose an Engineering or Construction course at the College, you'll be honing your skills in real-life working environments, getting your hands on a real aeroplane engine or practising your technique in workshop bays catering for carpentry, electrical work and more.
South Bank Arts Centre
If you’re taking an Art & Design or Performing Arts, Music Technology & Media course you’ll benefit from industry standard technology including media and music suites, a theatre, TV studios, editing suite and a graphic design studio with Macs. Our £6 million arts centre also hosts a regular programme of exciting events, exhibitions and performances for all students.
Springs Sports & Leisure Centre
Sport students can explore their studies at our modern £2.5 million sports centre, which is also available for all students – so you can hit the gym at our fully equipped fitness studio, work up a sweat in a dance fitness class, or play some team sports in our full-sized sports hall.
If you're a Hospitality student you will get the chance to work and develop your skills in our real-life, working restaurant, which is also open to everyone at the College and beyond – for when you fancy something a little different to delight those tastebuds.
Munch & Mocha – Restaurant & Coffee Shop
Catch up with friends over a relaxing coffee, savour a delicious lunch or grab a snack when you’re on the go – Munch & Mocha serves a wide range of hot and cold food, including meals, lighter bites and vegetarian options.
Car parking at our Cauldwell Street Campus
Car parking is charged at £1 per day during term-time with a permit (available from the College). Please note: parking is limited and not guaranteed.
With a fantastic additional support team on hand providing help to develop assignment skills, access to specialist equipment and support staff for those with dyslexia, hearing or visual impairment, no matter what your individual learning needs may be, we aim to ensure that the Bedford College experience is accessible to you.
In March 2014, Bedford College was inspected by Ofsted. The highlights are listed below and the full report is also available to download.
- Students’ outcomes in a variety of settings and programmes are good.
- The proportion of students who complete qualifications successfully in English and mathematics, has significantly improved and is now high.
- Teachers have excellent links with industry and use these effectively to develop high levels of industry-related skills, which prepare students skilfully for the world of work.
- Many students progress well onto employment or apprenticeships. Progression into higher-level courses both internally and to higher education institutions is high.
- The large majority of teaching is good or better and is particularly strong in the vocational craft subjects.
- Support for students is good; particularly the support teachers and managers provide for vulnerable students.
- The vocational learning experience for students age 14 to 16 is exceptional.
- The college provides an excellent environment for learning and resources are very good.
- Senior managers and governors set a clear strategic direction for the college and staff share their ambition and high expectations.
- Leaders and managers work successfully with employers and external agencies to provide a highly responsive curriculum to meet local and regional needs.
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact Bedford College directly.