Welcome to Stratton Upper School
We are delighted you are interested in our school. Stratton is a vibrant and successful Upper School with a tradition stretching back to 1950 when it first opened as a combined Academic and Technical Grammar School. This year we are celebrating our best ever outcomes for both GCSE and A level students.
We are guided by complimentary themes that are applied to all aspects of our work:
- Equity and excellence in all that we do;
- Our endeavour to get things right first time;
- Our belief that there is no contradiction between a school that is hard working and disciplined yet full of laughter and joy.
The journey through Stratton is designed to help students gain the skills for life-long learning and to achieve their highest potential both in gaining qualifications and becoming rounded individuals.
Students begin in Year 9 by focussing on a broad and balanced curriculum based on traditional academic subjects.
In addition to increasing their understanding of our world, the Stratton curriculum emphasises the skills and techniques of learning that will support excellence in Years 10 and 11, our Sixth Form and beyond.
The range of optional subjects available in Years 10 and 11 and Sixth Form broadens, allowing some students to explore more work related opportunities such as Business Studies and Construction, additional Arts subjects including Dance and Photography and a widening Humanity provision including for instance, Sociology.
Stratton Sixth Form caters for the 70-75% of our school population who are looking for an Academic pathway that leads to University or careers requiring Level 3 (A-Level) qualifications.
- 23% more students from Stratton take up places at prestigious Russell Group or Ivy League Universities compared to the national average;
- Our size means that students can choose from over 30 A level courses;
- A one year Level 2 course is available for students who are not yet qualified for A Level study, but determined to continue their education through an academic pathway.
School should never be just about exams. At Stratton we are enormously proud of the numerous dedicated staff who freely give up their time to run extra-curricular clubs, events, trips and visits. Last year enrichment opportunities included the following:
- Our fully working on-site farm;
- Humanities trips in the UK and abroad
- Extensive sports programme;
- Extensive Performing and Visual Arts programme.
All of this, but still a core focus on helping our students to succeed in their studies!
I hope you will have the opportunity to visit the school and see our work in action, please call us on 01767 220000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to meeting you.
- To be a successful learning organisation with a commitment to the continuous development of all our students, staff and resources
- To foster positive relationships within the school and the community, to encourage self-esteem, dignity and respect for others
- To provide a curriculum, facilities and resources which enable every individual to develop to her/his full potential and become a valuable member of society
- To exploit the unique nature of Stratton School to achieve personal excellence for all
- To provide a safe, welcoming and stimulating environment in which everyone can work in harmony and with purpose
We work with you
The Sixth Form Team have experience, commitment and specialist skill. The team includes: Sixth Form Leadership Team; dedicated Sixth Form Administration Support; Form tutors; Specialist Subject teachers and our Learning Support Department.
We are successful
Our Provision includes: academic support; specialist courses; liaison with the Learning Support Department; Student Support Officers and dedicated Sixth Form Facilities. We recognise differing needs.
Level 3 – bespoke Study Skills, aiming to “Leave no-one behind.”
Level 2 - specific support including: Mentoring; Study Skills; a bespoke Curriculum offer; Work experience and Progression. We encourage and support good habits and develop Independent Learning through Private study, Home study, Study Leave, Learning Plan Days and Reporting Home with regular Progress checks, Subject Evenings and Written reports.
We are very proud of our Sixth Form and obviously would like Stratton students to continue to study with us, whilst welcoming newcomers into our midst. Our students are proud to study here, are passionate about their work and persevere when the going gets tough. Our increasing upward trend in student attainment in the face of ever more stringent exam criteria means that more than ever our students are able to follow their chosen path. We believe that we offer a great place to study and this was backed up recently by Ofsted in April 2013 who said that at Stratton:
“The sixth form is good…students make good progress and move on to employment, training and higher education.”
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact Stratton Upper School directly.