Welcome to Forge Valley School
Forge Valley is sixth form is a ‘good’ sixth form, according to Ofsted. We are part of the Tapton School Academy trust. Our ethos is one of ambition, endeavour and success. As a smaller sixth form (maximum of 250 sixth formers in a school of 1300 students), our strength lies in really knowing each individual, embracing her/his strengths and ensuring each student is able to secure an aspirational destination. We are based in Stannington within the north of the city although we welcome applications from across Sheffield and surrounding areas.
Our teachers are committed to helping students achieve their academic potential whilst the sixth form team support students into a tailor made raising aspirations programme. This ensures that students build a wider set of experiences beyond the classroom. Our experienced tutor team support students through the daily programme which focuses on building students' skills beyond the classroom, debating topical and current issues and developing study and revision techniques.
You will be welcomed into a caring community at Forge where our sixth formers role models who actively contribute to school life whether as a mentor or through a charity event.
At Forge you will join a body of hardworking and academically minded students. Through our induction programme we will support you in making a smooth transition to sixth form studies which does require a greater degree of responsibility and independence.
We look forward to welcoming you to our open evening on Wednesday 13th November 2018 6.30pm - 8.30pm. The evening is a great opportunity to find out about our diverse curriculum, find out about subjects from students, speak to staff about courses and listen to a presentation from the head of sixth form about our bespoke destination support (including a specific programme for Oxbridge and medicine support) and raising aspirations programme.
Ms Gemma Driver
Head of Sixth Form
- The sixth form was awarded a ‘good’ rating by Ofsted in June 2017.
- 100% pass rate in 2018 with13% A-A* grades.
- Results in sixth form are strong, student progress meets national average.
- Diverse and rich curriculum with 20 subjects on offer including the extended project (much valued by universities including Cambridge and Warwick)
- Our Sixth Form is a thriving community of young people who are all working hard to achieve their goals, whether in academic success, post-18 aspirations or a number of other activities. About 80% per cent of our students progress to Higher Education, many attending the country's most competitive universities.
- Every student receives expert guidance from tutors and specialist careers advisors as part of our raising aspirations programme. We work in partnership with a wide range of organisations including: Nuffield, Social Mobility Foundation, National Citizens Service, Duke of Edinburgh, National Health service (Work experience), Realising Opportunities for access to top universities, Sheffield University Discover Programme, Brightside Journalism Mentoring, Uptree for work experience with competitive law, financial, IT placements
- We offer a supportive and thorough interview process that supports students into challenging and appropriate pathways. We will work together to explore your strengths, passions and ambitions to ensure you are on a the right study programme studying subjects that complement each other. Our taster day will further enable you to make informed decisions about your final subject choices.
- Applications for Sheffield LEA schools are made on-line via UCAS Progress.
- Applications for schools ouside sheffield who are not using UCAS Progress are by paper application from Pam Barnes (0114 2735790).
In September 2011 we moved in to a brand new building which offers us the most up to date learning environment with purpose built facilities for each subject area as well as spaces for independent learning and study. In addition, Forge Valley has excellent facilities for music and sport including recording studio, gym and studio rooms.
Post 16 students have their own dining facilities, social area and fully equipped study centre. We also have a learning resource centre.
We are committed to serving the needs of all students of all abilities. We offer A Level or BTEC qualifications in a range of subjects.
We have skilled staff who support the learning and well being of students with Additional Educational Needs including those in our Integrated Resource. Where appropriate, personalised learning and support programmes will be put in place to meet individual needs.
All students are expected to study 3 or 4 AS subjects. In your second year students will have the opportunity to study the EPQ (Extended Project).
Student progress in the last three years have been consistently above the national average:
2018 awaiting government verification...
80% of our students progress into Higher Education, with the majority of other students moving into Higher and Advanced level apprenticeships.
How to apply
You can apply for courses at Forge Valley School through UCAS Progress. Add courses to your favourites to apply to this provider.