Welcome to Furness College
Welcome to the new Furness College
We hope you have been in for yourself to see what an inspiring place the new college is.
We now have the biggest and most up to date campus in Cumbria. The reason we have built this campus is that we want you, our future students to have the best place to learn. Apart from new classrooms we are giving you a whole new world of learning opportunities. From submarines to spas, we can bring you closer to the workplace without leaving the building.
We have courses at all levels and in over twenty subject areas because we listen closely to local employers and work with them, these opportunities are directly related to the needs of the future whether it’s full time or through an apprenticeship.
Students have already moved into the completed campus and are telling us that it is an inspirational place to learn.
You will get an idea of what I am talking about by looking through this website but you have to come and see us in person; only then will you understand what a great facility you have on your doorstep.
With best wishes
With a £43 million new campus Furness College offers a superb range of services and room hire opportunities.
Our new multi-million-pound campus houses world-class facilities including brand new learning suites complete with the latest technology, equipment for all vocational areas as well as higher education and business training, student social areas and a new restaurant and spa suite. The campus now houses the first dedicated centre for Higher Education delivery in Barrow with a contribution of £3.5million from the University of Cumbria.
Also included are a new virtual nursery, complete with virtual babies, to support the early Years and Education curriculum to the state of the art apple i-Mac suite that will enable multimedia graphics to be designed on industry standard hardware and software. A clinical suite is also included in the new facilities, where nurse trainees, and health and social care students can experience the surroundings of a hospital ward.
We have our very own radio station, Cando FM, which is also based in the i-Box and has its own broadcast studio which is right next to the video production and creative media studio.
By far the most exciting set of developments on the site is a full range of sports facilities, a new fully equipped fitness suite which boasts the full range of equipment that you expect to see in a modern commercial fitness club, Sports Hall (The Match Box) and 3G pitch.
You can receive extra tuition in English, Maths and Study Skills to help you succeed on your course. This may be delivered on a one-to-one basis, in small groups or as in-class support. At Induction you will be given a full assessment to identify in which areas you may need learning support.
We can offer help with:
- Planning and writing assignments
- Taking notes
- Literacy skills e.g. reading, punctuation, grammar and spelling
- Numeracy skills e.g. percentages, fractions, and decimals
- Exam techniques
- Improving your grades.
- General learning difficulties
Support for Students with Additional Needs
If you have any additional needs then there are a number of ways in which we may be able to help you.
The following are examples of what support is available:
- Class/workshop support for literacy and numeracy
- Assessment and guidance on suitability of course
- Technical assistance
- Student access to Braille printing
- Supernova (screen reader and magnification software)
- Loan of equipment such as digital voice recorders, laptops etc, where required
- Hearing loops/Soundfield System
- Alternative input devices such as keyboards, trackball mouse etc
- Braille text
- Enlarged text
- Specialist tuition and equipment for students who have dyslexia
- Free full assessment for dyslexia ( subject to interview) by specialist staff
- Training on assistive technology software to aid learning, such as TextHelp Gold and Inspiration 8
- Help with applications for Disabled Students’ Allowance and full assessments for dyslexic students.
- Learning Support Technician who can adapt existing documents and diagrams into a variety of formats
- including Braille and Moon.
- Access to specialist teaching staff and learning support assistants
- Exam Considerations (subject to assessment)
Higher Education students may apply for the Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) which ensures you can continue to access additional learning support and have access to appropriate assistive technology. Please contact Helen Sharples to discuss your application for DSA.
We can also provide a free full dyslexia assessment for all Furness College students (subject to interview).
We can also provide specialist advice to employers regarding supporting their employees with dyslexia.
For further information and to arrange a confidential interview about your learning support needs, please contact:
- The Inclusion Manager, Helen Sharples (via Student Services or telephone direct on 01229 844737)
- Student Services and ask for the Inclusion Department.
- Talk to your Course Tutor or Personal tutor
- Or e-mail : email@example.com
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact Furness College directly.