Welcome to East Durham College
East Durham College is committed to offering an outstanding and inclusive education; providing individuals, the community and the local economy with every opportunity to succeed.
Building on this mission, our vision is to be highly successful through exceptional teaching and learning, to innovate to grow our provision and to build our reputation so that we are recognised as a quality college, developing both our staff and students.
- Achieve excellence in all our activities
- Explore and develop growth through local, regional, national and international partnerships
- Develop our position as a recognised premier specialist land-based college
- Widen participation and continue our commitment to equality and diversity in all our activities
- Be innovative in customising solutions in response to employer and employment needs
- Foster a constructive, reflective culture which promotes personal and professional development for the whole College community
- Provide world class facilities and resources for our students, customers, employers and staff
- Generate and support innovation and enterprise
The College values inform the way we work and the culture we wish to develop and project externally.
Our values are to:
- Have students at the heart of our organisation
- Operate a fair, respectful & honest culture
- Strive for the highest quality
- Operate with integrity
Our strategic aims are:
1. Develop a strong, vibrant teaching and learning culture that inspires our students and staff, enables excellence and enhances our reputation.
2. To develop and grow a viable, innovative and responsive College to ensure we achieve student and funding number targets.
3. To develop the economic prosperity of the district and county.
4. To develop a highly skilled, innovative, flexible workforce.
5. To promote, celebrate and respect equality and diversity.
Whether you want to progress to university, gain skills to improve your job prospects, or complete an apprenticeship, East Durham College has a course that will allow you realise your ambitions.
East Durham College offers a huge range of course and subject options, and provides advice and guidance to help you choose the right programme of study.
At our Peterlee Campus we offer a wide selection of A Levels - and an even wider choice of vocational training pathways. A levels include law, chemistry, biology, further maths, PE, and many more - whilst our vocation options include areas such as engineering, catering, performing arts and travel & tourism.
The Peterlee Campus is also home to the Apollo Studio Academy, a new studio school, offering a completely different educational path to conventional secondary schools and sixth forms by blending academic qualifications and the world of work into one unique and outstanding learning experience. The Apollo Studio Academy offers student in-take into Year 10 and 12.
Also in Peterlee, we have a second site on the South West Industrial Estate, the 37,000 sq. ft Technical Academy, that offers training in a range of building and construction skills such as plumbing and electrical installation.
Our Houghall Campus, in Durham, providers students with the very best in land based studies, this includes courses in animal care, veterinary nursing, horticulture and many more. As well as full and part time courses Houghall also run a vast range of short courses. These range from the practical hobby-based, with the likes of bee keeping, dog agility, floral design and gardening, to business-based training aimed specifically at keeping you up-to-date with the knowledge and qualifications your industry sector demands.
If you live on Tyneside, and Durham seems a bit too far away, you may be pleased to learn that we also offer a number of our animal care and countryside skills courses at Bill Quay Farm in Gateashead. Bonus.
Along with its specially designed state-of-the-art classrooms and work areas, the College also showcases a 500 seater sports arena and the area's only dedicated specialist theatre.
East Durham College is committed to offering an outstanding and inclusive education, providing individuals, the community and the local economy with every opportunity to succeed.
The College is home to a genuine and supportive community of students and staff and we believe you won’t find a more supportive and friendlier college.
And that support leads to some great results. The percentage of students completing their qualification aims successfully has been consistently above the national average for the last three years.
Students at East Durham College also develop their confidence, self-esteem and work-related skills - developing good employability skills and enhance their future opportunities.
These comments are supported by the fact that in 2013, 83% of students at East Durham College successfully completing full-time courses moved on to employment or further forms of education and training, building upon the positive and life-changing experience of studying at college.
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact East Durham College directly.