Welcome to Oriel High School
I am very pleased to be able to give you a glimpse of our Sixth Form through our
Our Sixth Form has rightly earned a reputation for high standards and we are very
proud of our students’ achievements in all areas of Sixth Form life and beyond.
I hope that you find this prospectus useful and I thank you for taking the time to read
about our Sixth Form.
Philip Stack, Headteacher
At Oriel Sixth Form we welcome students who are keen to achieve their potential,
working to high academic standards across their programme of study. Your time
in Oriel Sixth Form will empower you to work as an independent and effective
student. We provide a caring and supportive environment; you will take high quality
courses and these, alongside opportunities offered through enrichment will enable
you to prepare for Higher Education, employment or training. I look forward to
working with you in this, the next challenging and exciting stage of your education.
Clair Denman, Assistant Headteacher, Sixth Form
C H O I C E & C H A L L E N G E
CHOOSE SUBJECTS AND PERSONALISE YOUR LEARNING
You will create your own learning programme, choosing courses from a broad and
Our subject range has been created in response to local, national and international
trends in education, life long learning and employment opportunities.
The diverse range of courses offered includes:
A - Levels - qualifications that focus on traditional study skills. They normally take
two years to complete full-time. You can choose from a wide range of academic
Many people use AS and A levels to go on to higher education, but they’re also
useful if you want to go straight into employment.
BTECs - Work-related qualifications, available in a wide range of subjects. They have
been designed in collaboration with industry, so they can equip you with the skills
and knowledge that employers are looking for.
Oriel Sixth Form is the stepping stone to higher education and a successful career.
Moving from Year 12 to Year 13 gives you the opportunity to fine tune your
individual learning programme to develop your skills and talents.
When you complete your studies at Oriel Sixth Form you will have the skills,
experience and qualifications to move into employment, higher education or further
training with confidence.
O P P O R T U N I T I E S & L E A D E R S H I P
The Wider Life of the Sixth Form will give you the opportunity to raise money for
others (Through Raising And Giving, RAG activities), share social events such as the
Summer Ball, and build your skills and confidence though ‘Money Matters’ training
and ‘Futures Week’ work shadowing and training.
DEVELOPING LEADERSHIP SKILLS
You will have the chance to play a vital role in the development of the Sixth Form
and the whole school through:
• Students Union
• Sixth Form Academic Committee
• Mentoring and Coaching younger students as a Learning Leader
• Community Sports Leadership Award
• Leading whole school RAG activities
E X P E R I E N C E & E N J O Y M E N T
THE SIXTH FORM EXPERIENCE IS…
A different experience from Year 11
• Distinct and separate from the whole school, in its structure
BUT IT ALSO…
Allows you, as one of the most senior members of the school, to play a key role
in the future development of the whole school
YOU WILL LEAVE THE SIXTH FORM AS:
• An independent learner and thinker
• A responsible young adult
A WORKING ENVIRONMENT
• Seminar rooms for learning and tutorials
• Library with Sixth Form resources and study space
• Sixth Form ICT facilities providing a place for study with internet and email access
Sport and Leisure
• Discounted Gym membership
• Access to leisure facilities
The Common Room and Café
Spaces for relaxation, chat and work.
• Pool table
• Drink and snack making facilities
• Café - a choice of hot and cold meals/snacks are available.
I N D E P E N D E N C E & D E V E L O P M E N T
THE TEACHING AND LEARNING EXPERIENCE
In Sixth Form, lessons are taught in classes with smaller group sizes, with increased
opportunities for debate and discussion. This environment will give you the chance
to gain skills in communicating and presenting information at a level that will equip
you for future pathways. You will benefit from specialist subject teachers and
academic support from your personal tutor throughout.
You will have regular 1:1 meetings with your personal tutor who will:
• Provide you with guidance, support and encouragement
• Track and monitor your academic and personal progress and success
• Advise you with applications to Higher Education or employers
PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME
Specialist input in tutorials on a range of issues e.g.
• Study Skills and Independent Learning
• Making choices for the future
• Life Skills
• Health and personal safety
• Moral, spiritual and cultural development
TRANSITION TO HIGHER EDUCATION,
APPRENTICESHIP & EMPLOYMENT
Higher Education fair
• Advice on UCAS applications
• Meetings for parents/carers
• Regular visits from employers and training providers
- Work shadowing
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact Oriel High School directly.