Welcome to York College
At York College we value and respect all our students. We celebrate individual achievement and understand that our students are all different. Students should expect their time with us to be challenging, fulfilling, demanding and exciting. We work with our students to prepare them for further study and employment, and for the challenges ahead. Staff at York College work very hard to ensure that every student reaches their full potential and takes advantage of the opportunities available.
We will do everything possible to provide:
- the individual support students need to achieve and progress
- quality teaching with qualified, knowledgeable and experienced staff
- the best facilities in the region
- an environment where students feel safe, happy and healthy
- a valuable range of out of classroom activities to suit all interests
York College students go on to achieve great things, realise their ambitions and lead exciting and fulfilling lives. We all look forward to working with your son or daughter over the months and years to come.
Dr Alison Birkinshaw OBE
Principal and Chief Executive
York College offers a fantastic range of qualifications including over 40 A Levels that are available in almost any combination, 80 Vocational programmes and 20 Apprenticeships.
The College has a high quality Sports Development Centre for talented football (women's and men's), basketball and rugby league players.
Talented musicians can enjoy expert tuition in the College's Music Development Centre, and if you are serious about Performing Arts we now have a Performing Arts Development Centre which offers a bespoke programme of study for high achieving students aiming to progress to a drama school, conservatoire or top university.
Last year students experienced over 300 trips and visits in the UK and abroad, locations included Hollywood, Stonehenge, New York and Rome.
The College offers the Extended Project qualification so that students can pursue an area of special interest whilst gaining additional UCAS points.
Those students considering prestigious courses such as medicine or law, or universities such as Oxford, Cambridge, Russell Group and other top universities should consider the College's Sirius Group to develop their skills and knowledge.
Gold Award for Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance.
York College holds the Matrix Standard Gold Award for impartial Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance (CEIAG).
- Learning Centre - situated over three floors with 150 open access computers and help desks staffed by specialists
- Alan Ayckbourn Theatre and Performing Arts studios including a Dance studio
- Ashfields Restaurant and training kitchens
- Hair and Beauty Spa and nail bar
- 3G artificial turf pitches, sports hall, multi-use games areas and fitness suite
- Engineering and Construction workshops
- Science labs -designed especially for advanced level science
- Art and Design studios
- Lecture Theatre - seating 80 people
- Student social and eating areas
- Infozone - impartial information, advice and guidance on a full range of services. Call 01904 770397
- Job Shop - information and guidance relating to apprenticeships, work placements and part-time jobs.
Faith at York College
York College welcomes those of all faiths and none. There is a designated room, 'Oasis', set aside for personal reflection and prayer and a College Chaplain who takes an interest in the whole life of the College, offering help and support to students and staff whatever their beliefs. A team of faith advisers from the major world faiths is also available. The College hosts a series of well attended 'Oasis' lectures exploring a range of ethical and spiritual issues.
How we support you
- Motivate yourself
- Manage your workload
- Be supported for a learning difficulty and/or disability
- Deal with any personal difficulties that may arise during your time with us
- Plan your future.
Many students find that there are times when they need additional support at College. If you have a learning difficulty and/or disability and you want support you can let us know on your application form or self-refer when you are on your course. Please ask for a copy of the booklet 'Able to Learn' if you want more information about the kind of support the College can offer.
If you want to find out more about additional learning support you can phone 01904 770438, to arrange a visit or call in to the Learning Support Office 1F124.
Our overall A Level pass rate in 2014 was 99.6% making York College above the national averlage for over 20 years. We had 100% pass rate in 38 A Level subjects.
Students who took Extended Diplomas in 2014 also achieved outstanding results securing 281 Triple Distinctions ( the equivalent to 3As at A Level) of which 118 were Triple Distinction * grades.
Take a look at our courses, come to our Open Events and Taster Days and find out why our 16-18 year old results are in the top 10% nationally*.
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact York College directly.