Welcome to Buxton & Leek College
- We’re the best performing College in the region (Skills Funding Agency 2015).
- We’ve invested over £8.5 million into our Campus facilities.
- We were graded ‘good’ by Ofsted in our most recent inspection – our best ever result.
- We offer over 220 courses for all ages, abilities and ambitions including full and part time courses, work based and industry short courses, University level and Access qualifications, leisure courses, Apprenticeships and Traineeships.
- Being a vocational College means that our students don’t just learn in the classroom but spend time developing their skills in our industry standard facilities.
- We’re a small, safe, friendly College.
- We’re proud to be part of the University of Derby. Being part of the group means our students learn in the same environment as the University’s undergraduates. Plus, all of our University level courses are accredited by Derby and a lot more affordable than going to a larger University.
- 90% of our learners go on to further training or employment after completing a course with us (for 16-18 year old learners).
- Our Tutors are experts in their fields and have learned and developed their skills and knowledge by working in the industries they now teach.
- Our learners have the chance to undertake work placements, enrichment activities and volunteering, sports, industry competitions, educational trips, talks from guest speakers and extra training and short courses. This all prepares them for employment and the real working world.
- Our Library staff are the best in the country for customer service (Council for Learning Resources in Colleges 2015).
- Our students succeed! Some of our learners have gone on to work for the Army, Virgin Atlantic, NHS, JCB, Gleneagles Hotel and Monarch Airlines. Some have their own businesses too.
- We offer great support from the second you contact us with an enquiry and even after you have finished your course with us.
- If you’re over 19 and worried about the cost of studying a course with us simply talk to us. There are many College and Government schemes in place to help you with the cost of your studies.
- We offer flexible learning options and you’ll have the chance to meet new people and increase your confidence.
- Employers view College leavers as better prepared for work than school leavers of the same age.
- We have Campuses in Buxton, Leek and Derby. We also offer leisure courses across Staffordshire Moorlands and can deliver some of our courses in your place of work, making it even easier to study with us.
7 Industry Standard Kitchens
Train to become a chef, baker, sous chef or chef de partie in one of our outstanding kitchens and learn what the heat of the kitchen is like yourself.
Apple Mac Suites
We have a purpose built Mac suite with proffesional software and equipment. You will learn a wide range of essential skills for TV, film, print and broadcast journalism, animation, radio, web-design and print-industries.
Air Cabin Room
We have an on-site airline cabin for training in travel and tourism which will help you learn practically practically, is hands on, and has lots of role-play. This will enable you to work towards gaining a work placement within the industry.
The Devonshire Dome Restaurant is where you train to become a hotel or restaurant manager, waiter, waitress or a front of house supervisor. You will perfect your skills for the restaurant's paying customers.
Art and Design Studios
Home to the Leek School of Art, our purpose built studios are for students who specialise in varying disciplines including textiles, ceramics, print, painting, photography and drawing.
Training Childcare Nursery
Students can explore the Childcare and Education Skills Suite; which provides a comprehensive range of early years equipment and resources, which mirror that of the real work enviroment beyond the college classroom. The suite provides students with an oppurtunity to practice skills and link theory to a work enviroment resource.
Skillsbase Training Centre
Employers, Apprentices and Students alike are benefitting from out Skillsbase Training Centre at Harpur Hill. With backing from leading industry players, such as Toyota, Briggs and Snap-On, the centre enables learners to study towards vocational qualifications in subjects such as Motor Vehicle, Engineering, Logistics, Warehousing & Storage, Construction Crafts, Painting & Decorating and Welding.
Commercial Hair & Beauty Salons
In our salons at both of our campuses, you'll have the chance to practice and develop your skills on real paying customers.
Significant investment has been made to build new engineering works shops that will be ready by 2015. These will be filled with new machine tools and CNC equipment.
Our sports centre at Harpur Hill has a 20 station fitness suite with a range of cardo-vascular and resistance machines as well as free weight areas. Here we also have a large sports hall for football, basketball and netball as well as other team sports.
The Hub is a facility in Leek that is provides students with a peaceful work space and is used as a library & I.T. centre and a place where students can recieve the specialist support of student mentors and study coaches.
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact Buxton & Leek College directly.